Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter

The Ventra is a great choice for couples that love…

Summary

The Ventra is a great choice for couples that love to sleep close in the backcountry. While researching the interwebz for a couples' solution to sleeping together, I came across the Therm-a-Rest systems. While not for cold weather, this system is definitely the solution for cool mountain nights (or Texas winters).

Pros

• Easily mateable
  • Perfect for cool weather

Cons

• Not for very cold weather
  • Need the fitted sheet to use properly

The Venrtra Comforter was a perfect purchase for my needs. I know there are a few options available for couples' sleeping systems but I really liked the idea of being able to use only one if I need to.

Being very budget-minded (in school), I know it will be a while before we will have the resources to buy two high quality, down bags and this system is somewhat of a compromise between ability and price. The more expensive  bags out there are made to deal with cold, but this system is fine for the trips we will be taking in the near future.

We have taken the system into the mountains in New Mexico during the summer where the temps dipped into the low 40's. The combination of a base layer and two bodies under the blanket kept me very warm through the night. The wife slept a little cold (most women do) until she put on another pair of socks and a long sleeve shirt. I usually sleep hot and at one point in the night, I had to let my feet out to cool down a bit. This happened all in a tent, of course.

The first trip was a learning experience and one of the things we learned was to attach the fitted sheet to the air mattress before leaving home. This will save a little time and frustration after a hard day's hike. Other than that, the comforter attaches to the sheet in a snap (5 literally) and then you are ready for slumber.

The only problem I see is that the mattress I have is a regular width and I now wish I had a wide one. This is not the Ventra's fault, though. Just an afterthought.

The comforter packs down very small and even with the mattress packed, it takes up a minimal amount of pack-space. Please note that I refer to this as a system. That's exactly what it is... it's meant to be used with the fitted sheet because the comforter wraps underneath and handles drafts. That is all...

It's lightweight, stays tucked around the pad, and…

Price Paid: about $150

Summary

It's lightweight, stays tucked around the pad, and warm for its weight.

Pros

• Excellent foot box that will fit around almost any pad
  • Warm for its weight

Cons

• Not quite warm enough for the shoulder seasons

I love this quilt/blanket. Most of the summer, I can use it alone or with the Therm-a-Rest sheet set and that's all I need. When it's a little cooler, I either add a very small fleece blanket on the inside or wear my fleece long underwear to sleep in.

I love the way it wraps around the bottom of the pad. I'm not one who likes to be mummied into a bag, so this lovely blanket allows me maximum movement but keeps me warm.

It probably wouldn't work too well with a Z-Rest or other type of pad that didn't offer much in the way of R value, but combined with my Exped, it's grand.

Visit Therm-a-Rest's Ventra Down Comforter page.

The Ventra comforter provides all the technical benefits of a down sleeping bag lightweight compressibility and warmth without making you feel like a mummy. It snaps directly to your mattress with our Fitted Sheets or Mattress Snap Kit, eliminating the wasted down and fabric underneath you that provides little additional warmth. Instead, you get the added benefits of space, ventilation and foot-loose freedom that you only ever felt at home. Used as a part of a sleep system, or on its own around camp, the Ventra Down Comforter is creating a brand new genre of technical, outdoor luxury.Features:Create Your Comfort: Use it alone for on-the-spot comfort, or mate it directly with your Therm-a-Rest- mattress to create a complete sleep system.Technical Warmth: Comfort rated to 40 F ( C) featuring box-baffled, 650-fill down to eliminate cold spots.New Freedom: Enjoy the added ventilation with unrestricted space to move and sleep just like you do at home. Sizing:RegularWeight: 2 lbs / 940 g Dimensions: 76 in x 48 in / 193 cm / 122 cm Large:Weight: 2.5 lbs / 1180 g Dimensions: 80 in x 58 in / 203 cm x 147 cm

- Mountain Hideaway

Description of Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter Sleeping BagThe Ventra comforter provides all the technical benefits of a down sleeping baglightweight compressibility and warmth without making you feellike a mummy. It snaps directly to your mattress with our Fitted Sheets or Mattress Snap Kit, eliminating the wasted down and fabric underneath you that provides little additional warmth. Instead, you get the added benefits of space, ventilation and foot-loose freedom that you only ever felt at home. Used as a part of a sleep system, or on its own around camp, the Ventra Down Comforter is creating a brand new genre of technical, outdoor luxury.FeaturesCreate Your Comfort Use it alone for on-the-spot comfort, or mate it directly with your Therm-a-Rest mattress to create a complete sleep system.Technical Warmth Comfort rated to 40F 4C featuring box-baffled, 650-fill down to eliminate cold spots.New Freedom Enjoy the added ventilation with unrestricted space to move and sleepjust like you do at home. 2 lbs50 inches by 78 inchesGoose down fillFill weight 650 FPMade in China

- US Outdoor Store

This 40F rated comforter is filled with premium 650-fill European down for comfort and warmth and offers the freedom to move that traditional mummy bags don't. The comforter can snap to any Therm-a-Rest mattress with a simple Mattress Snap Kit or the recently-introduced Fitted Sheet that snaps onto the mattress itself, providing next-to-skin comfort. The comforter features dual-draft collars that weigh down the sides, keeping the blanket wrapped around the body, plus a footbox that keeps feet easily tucked in while moving during sleep. It is also versatile enough to be used on its own by the campfire, in a backpacking or wherever else you need the best night sleep available in a light-weight package.

- CampSaver.com

Create Your Comfort: Use it alone for on-the-spot comfort, or mate it directly with your Therm-a-Rest(R) mattress to create a complete sleep system.Technical Warmth: Comfort rated to 40degF (4degC) featuring box-baffled, 650-fill down to eliminate cold spots.New Freedom: Enjoy the added ventilation with unrestricted space to move and sleep-just like you do at home. Specifications Weight: 2 lbs / 940 gWidth: 50 in / 127 cmHeight: 78 in / 198 cmFill Material: Goose DownFill Weight: 650 FPCountry of Origin: Made in China

- River Sports Outfitters

Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter

The Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new warm weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.