Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter

The Ventra is a great choice for couples that love…

Summary

The Ventra is a great choice for couples that love to sleep close in the backcountry. While researching the interwebz for a couples' solution to sleeping together, I came across the Therm-a-Rest systems. While not for cold weather, this system is definitely the solution for cool mountain nights (or Texas winters).

Pros

• Easily mateable
  • Perfect for cool weather

Cons

• Not for very cold weather
  • Need the fitted sheet to use properly

The Venrtra Comforter was a perfect purchase for my needs. I know there are a few options available for couples' sleeping systems but I really liked the idea of being able to use only one if I need to.

Being very budget-minded (in school), I know it will be a while before we will have the resources to buy two high quality, down bags and this system is somewhat of a compromise between ability and price. The more expensive  bags out there are made to deal with cold, but this system is fine for the trips we will be taking in the near future.

We have taken the system into the mountains in New Mexico during the summer where the temps dipped into the low 40's. The combination of a base layer and two bodies under the blanket kept me very warm through the night. The wife slept a little cold (most women do) until she put on another pair of socks and a long sleeve shirt. I usually sleep hot and at one point in the night, I had to let my feet out to cool down a bit. This happened all in a tent, of course.

The first trip was a learning experience and one of the things we learned was to attach the fitted sheet to the air mattress before leaving home. This will save a little time and frustration after a hard day's hike. Other than that, the comforter attaches to the sheet in a snap (5 literally) and then you are ready for slumber.

The only problem I see is that the mattress I have is a regular width and I now wish I had a wide one. This is not the Ventra's fault, though. Just an afterthought.

The comforter packs down very small and even with the mattress packed, it takes up a minimal amount of pack-space. Please note that I refer to this as a system. That's exactly what it is... it's meant to be used with the fitted sheet because the comforter wraps underneath and handles drafts. That is all...

If you've owned or used a Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter, please share your experience.

Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter

The Therm-a-Rest Ventra Down Comforter is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new warm weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.