Timber Top Tent

Have two Timber Tops — large dome and cabin style.

Price Paid: don't remember

Summary

Have two Timber Tops — large dome and cabin style.

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Roomy
  • Never leaked
  • Never tore.

Cons

• Cording in tent poles stretched out and can't find replacements.

Bought in the '90s for my son and I when we took our first cross-country camping trip, as well as camping with the Boy Scouts.  Easy setup.

Downside, all my tent poles have stretched out and I can no longer set either tent up unless I can find replacement poles.

Love these tents. Lots of great times.

Rockin' the second generation with my Timber Top!

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Rockin' the second generation with my Timber Top!

Pros

• Excellent quality
  • Easy to assemble/disassemble
  • Easy to store

Cons

• None

My parents bought my Timber Top for me at the age of 11 in 1988. We were a very rugged family, and my tent went with me everywhere. Through my teen years my brother and our friends used it every weekend, often staying in very rugged terrain for a week at a time during our summer breaks. When my husband and I started dating in the late '90s we had so many excursions in this tent!

Every time I set it up I'm flooded with memories of river banks, cliff tops, public campgrounds, waterfalls, and so many other amazing places that it's traveled with us! Now, my old orange tent has been handed down to my own son. It's Summer 2013, he's 7 years old and we just returned from his first camping trip in a tent by himself.

I think the quality of this tent speaks for itself. The fact that the fabric may be slightly faded, but is still in excellent condition. The tent went up with as much ease as it did that first summer in 1988 and now my own child is creating his own memories with it.

In 1998, my daughter and I were researching in South…

Design: freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: simple
Weight: guessing 4-5 lbs

In 1998, my daughter and I were researching in South Africa. At the end of our time there, my wife came to join us, buying -- I think at Service Merchandise or a similar store -- a small TimberTop tent before she came. We camped with 3 of us for a month throughout SA and Zimbabwe with that little tent. En route back we camped in England and Wales for 8 days, sometimes in sodden conditions.

A year later, our son took it with him to Kenya, and two years later to rural Morocco, setting it up in rugged terrain. We have camped throughout the U.S. with it since then, most recently setting it up 8 times between Chicago and California, including a wind and gully-washing thunderstorm in Missouri during which we did not experience a drop of leakage.

That little $45 square tent is probably the best single investment we ever made. It is unpretentious, but incredibly dependable -- used probably a hundred times in variant conditions. The quick-set poles, zippers and fabric corner tie-downs still work. We now also have a larger, more expensive one, but still use this little guy affectionately whenever we travel with the two of us, and need simple, fast compact shelter. Thanks for an inexpensive and durable basic product!

I have owned a Timber Top tent, where the poles stay…

Design: collapse tent poles for easy set up and take down
Ease of Setup: easy easy that's all I have to say, everyone is jealous when they see me set it up by myself
Weight: not sure

I have owned a Timber Top tent, where the poles stay in the tent always and collapse like spider legs when you are done with it. I have had it since 1996. I bought it at service merchandise. Well it has survived Maine camping since then, and I now wish I could get another, so I can have a selection to choose from. Let me know if I can still find this type of tent. It's the fastest set up ever.

I love my Timber Top 3-man tent. I've been camping…

Design: free-standing dome
Ease of Setup: super easy
Weight: 3-4 lbs
Price Paid: Don't remember, I've had it for so long

I love my Timber Top 3-man tent. I've been camping with it so many times. The fact that it sets up in a minute or so is the best. Sadly, I have lost the tent's fly and would like to find another one. So far, I've not been able to find one anywhere.

If you've owned or used a Timber Top Tent, please share your experience.

Timber Top Tent

The Timber Top Tent is not available from the stores we monitor.