Timberland Ledge Mid Leather and Fabric Hiker

Comfortable walking shoe The Timberland Ledge was…

Summary

Comfortable walking shoe

Pros

• Light
  • Good traction

Cons

• Minimal ankle support
  • Minimal lugs

The Timberland Ledge was one of the first boots I bought when I moved out of the cheap consumer grade boots like those you might find at Walmart or Target.

I tried on many other boots from a variety of different manufacturers — I knew I wanted GoreTex liners and Vibram outsoles, and I wanted something comfortable and light. The Ledge fit the bill best, and I wore them for a year or two with no problems. The leather was soft and supple and the breakin time was minimal, and I found I was wearing them around town as well as on local walking trails. My feet were always dry, and the traction was adequate for those conditions.

This is not however a very rugged boot. The sole is thin enough that you can feel sharp rocks poking through, and the fabric offers little protection. The ankle support is negligible, and the boot lacks niceties like lace locks. I would hesitate to call this a 'hiking boot' - 'high-end walking shoe' might be more accurate, or 'light day-hiker'.