Trangia Spirit Stove

Although the Trangia Spirit Stove is heavier than…

Summary

Although the Trangia Spirit Stove is heavier than the traditional pop can stove, it is far more versatile and the user is able to conserve every drop of fuel being carried.

Pros

• Heavy-duty (nearly indestructable)
  • Simmer ring allows for more versatile cooking
  • Lid allows unburned fuel to be stored in the stove
  • Maintenance free

Cons

• Heavy (compared to pop can stoves)

The Trangia Spirit Stove takes the alcohol stove to the next level. At 4.2oz, it's heavier than a simple Pepsi-can stove. However, the durability and versatility of this stove surpass anything you'll get out of a pop-can stove.

In terms of quality, this stove is meant to last for years without any problems. It's maintenance free--as long as you don't put the lid on when the stove is still hot (you'll ruin the O-ring). I have known guys who have been cooking on the same stove for more than a decade.

One complaint of alcohol stoves is the inability to control the heat. Trangia addresses that complaint with the simmer ring (included). The simmer ring allows you to control the intensity of the flame, and put it out completely, when you are done cooking.

The lid addresses another draw back of alcohol stoves. With the lid, I don't have to measure out every drop of fuel. I can fill the stove up, cook what I need, and then (after the stove cools down) screw the sealed lid to the top. Any unspent fuel is ready to be used the next time. There's no need to worry about wasted fuel.

The Trailspace pic shows a pot stand with the stove. I haven't seen it sold with that set up for awhile. You can buy some add on's—pot stand and windscreen. I was able to construct my own for $2, using some aluminum flashing and 3 old bicycle spokes (use stainless steel, not aluminum spokes!).

The entire setup—stove, windscreen, stand, nestles nicely into my cooking pot.

This stove is definitely worth the money! I'm currently seeing it sold for around $11 on some sites. If you've been interested in trying an alcohol stove, then I recommend starting going with this one.

Picture: My Spirit Stove, with homemade wind screen/pot stand.

941460_10151441706266129_191641229_n.jpg

Light and simple burner. I discovered this stove in…

Summary

Light and simple burner.

Pros

• Makes very little noise
  • Inexpensive fuel
  • Simple
  • Bomber construction

Cons

• Slow
  • Doesn't work well in cold

I discovered this stove in a box of gear while cleaning out the garage, so I started using it again and wow. I enjoy the lightness of the stove and the simplicity of the burner. It takes awhile to get used to using an alcohol burner but well worth it.

I've made a few pop can stoves. They last a while…

I've made a few pop can stoves. They last a while but the Trangia will last many years.

It is solidly built, and light for back packing. The simmer ring is nice. I was able to boil 1.5 liters of water then put on the simmer ring for another 20 minutes of cooking. This was a big plus over my pop cans. Plus it is nice to put on the lid with fuel still in the stove, less mess and less fuel wasted.

4.5 stars because the simmer cover is stamped on. This will have to be fixed. As it will break in time.

Overall very nice for the traveler.

Update: November 17, 2011

I have now had this stove for many years. In my first review I mentioned that I thought in time the simmer ring would have to be fixed. I was wrong.

Last year I had bought a canister stove. I gave it all my attention. On my last trek I took my little Trangia. I had forgotten just how much I love this little thing!

100_0473_0001.jpg

As you can see. It has been well used.

In conclusion; I well use it all spring, summer and fall. As there is nothing that can fail.

I have pop can stoves but this one is much more durable…

I have pop can stoves but this one is much more durable and you can save unused fuel. The pop can stove you pretty well have to let it burn out. I would recommend a windscreen. Once you use an alcohol stove you may never go back...although I still really like my Whisperlite International.

As a car camper, space is important, but weight is…

As a car camper, space is important, but weight is not. I have several backpacking style stoves, rigged with Trangia burners, and they work well. However, I just don't like the wobbly pot stands.

This Trangia with the burner/pot stand works very well; although you would need to fashion your own wind screen. Made of steel, it does retain some heat from the flame, but does not heat up to the point of burning the table top. The entire set up is heavy by backpacking standards, but perfect for car camping.

The Trangia stove performed exactly as promised. This…

The Trangia stove performed exactly as promised. This is an excellent supplement to my wood-gas stove that I made out of paint cans and hardware cloth (fits nicely in the pint inner can), or a fine stand alone.

This stove does needs a pot stand and the one that comes with it (seen in post picture) is ridiculous.  It is made of pot metal and is 6" across by 3.25" tall, not suited for travel.

For fuel I am currently using yellow Heet(R) for fuel and it burns clean, no soot or smell.  I intend to give Everclear a try given it's multipurpose qualities like sterilization and mixing;).  I know it will cost more but really in the big picture it should be insignificant.

If you are shopping alcohol stoves I would also suggest you investigate the Esbit alcohol stove.  It tends to be a few more bucks but appears to be more refined.

If you've owned or used a Trangia Spirit Stove, please share your experience.