Bought these in 2008 for under $100. Been using them…

Source: Ebay's the way

Summary

Bought these in 2008 for under $100. Been using them to climb ice in the Catskills ever since. For a new-intermediate climber on a budget I don't think they can be beat!

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Dependable

Cons

• Heavy
  • Need bot plates

They are a bit heavy, AND in sticky snow they can cookie cutter and load snow until you're wearing platform shoes. I have not had one fail/ defect with them.

I used Trango Harpoon (mono) for years and had only…

I used Trango Harpoon (mono) for years and had only one significant complaint--the toe bail broke twice. I eventually switched to the Trango Hyper and love them. Strong toe bails, great ergonomic design and easy to change mono point. I use these for ice and mixed and find good performance for both. I rate these as very reliable and fun to use.