TrekSta Sidewinder

Intriguing shoe. The materials appear to be of excellent…

Intriguing shoe.

The materials appear to be of excellent quality and the workmanship appears to be top-notch. No complaints there.

Overall I find them to be a bit too burly/clunky for actual trail running... but pretty decent as trail hiking shoes. They are definitely not like other shoes that I consider serious trail running shoes like Montrail Mountain Masochist, Salomon XA, and others. These are all a bit lighter, more flexible, more nimble, differently designed, than the Treksta Sidewinder. I find the Sidewinders a bit heavier, a bit stiffer, etc. than all of these. Not a bad pair of shoes by any stretch, but I just don't think they're very good for real trail running.

On the plus side:

The sole provides outstanding traction on a wide variety of surfaces. They also claim it will do better on ice due to a set of special lugs. I have not had a chance to test this. But their description of this feature sounds plausible and I have no reason to doubt them.

On the minus side:

Fit for me is not great. I find these to be a bit too wide in the heel and not wide enough in the toe box.

The 'Boa' lacing system. I find it a bit finicky/gimmicky. It has come undone on me (albeit rarely) while tromping through underbrush. And since the fit on me is not great, I really have to crank down on the system to get it tight around my heels (to prevent heel-lift). This causes a really noticeable, uncomfortable pressure point on my foot directly beneath the ratcheting disc. It's a real problem for me.

If these fit your feet better than mine, I think I would recommend them for trail walking. But for me, these come up a bit short; and have been relegated to the back of the closet.

The Treksta Sidewinder w/ Icelock gives you versatility and comfort and a good price. Traverse any trail in these nimble and lightweight runners. Mesh uppers keep your feet cool as your run heats up, while an innovative midsole protects underfoot.

- CampSaver.com

If the thought of clunky winter boots makes you want to throw up a little bit in your mouth, then try the TrekSta Sidewinder Shoe for your next winter trail run or fast-paced day hike . The IceLock pads improve traction on icy and snowy trails.

A real Humvee, the TrekSta Men's Sidewinder Trail Running Shoe traverses any trail with a nimble and lightweight attitude. A mesh upper keeps your feet cool as your run heats up and locks the foot securely in place with its BOA Lacing System. Its lightweight and flexible EVA midsole combines with durable PU in the heel-strike zone for cushion, stability and impact absorption. A TPU shank protects against shock and supports a natural foot structure, while a IceLock/HyperGrip sole provides all-conditions traction.

- Altrec Outdoors

TrekSta Men's Sidewinder

The TrekSta Men's Sidewinder is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.