Tributary Tomcat Tandem

Overall a good inflatable kayak and fun to use. I…

Summary

Overall a good inflatable kayak and fun to use.

Pros

• Length and depth
  • Can replace the inner tube if it gets a hole

Cons

• Hard to dry out at the self bailer section
  • Seats are not the most comfortable
  • I don't like the valve style

I like the length of this kayak—plenty of leg space for both people. I don't like the valve covers very well. I prefer the kind on the NRS Outlaw II.  I also prefer the seat valves on the Outlaw II over the ones on the Tomcat.

This is a fun kayak and is good in both calm and white water.

I don't like how water catches in the front and the back of the self bailer when you are done and want to dry it out. When I get home I have to unroll it and let it dry out completely because you can not dry out the self bailing sections with a towel. The Outlaw II is much easier to dry and and put away.

I do like that the Tomcat is deeper and longer than the Outlaw II. I like the seats better on the Outlaw II because they are more comfortable.

Welcome to Trailspace, Stanley! Thanks for sharing your Tomcat Tandem review with us. I'd love to see some pictures of your kayak's features (like the self bailer and seats), if you're willing to add some to your review. Also, it sounds like you have experience with the NRS Outlaw II you may want to share in another review: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/nrs/outlaw-ii/

Very durable yet maneuverable inflatable. Plenty of…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Very durable yet maneuverable inflatable. Plenty of lounging room for a float and bloat but also cargo space for multi-day whitewater adventures.

Pros

• Easy to paddle, tracks well
  • Tough as nails
  • No roof rack needed

Cons

• A little heavy at 55 lbs
  • A little bit of a workout on flat water

When we are going to paddle a river for the first time for up to ten days this is our go-to boat. If we had to portage, we could. If we need a second cooler, it fits. If we crash through craziness, she keeps on floating!

When properly rigged the seats are pure luxury. Stability is off the charts, we often fish standing up even while in swift water. On solo trips she even makes a great luxury sleeping pad!

This a great, and affordable IK for beginners but a favorite for all experienced paddlers.

We used ours for 4 years throughout the Southwest. We bought it from an outfitter two years into its life. She truly is good as new.