Tubbs Flex TRK

I bought these this morning because after weeks of snow…

I bought these this morning because after weeks of snow here in Boston they were the only snowshoes available at the local EMS store. I just went out for an hour and a half tromp in the woods.

They passed the first test easily, which was whether I could secure my boots in the bindings. The adjustments both around the toes and on the strap that runs behind the heel were simple and straight-forward.

The heel strap is made of some sort of rubberized material. You adjust it by stretching the strap over a metal prong. The prong goes into one of a series of holes in the strap, as on a belt.

I was a little concerned with this arrangement for three reasons:

1.) I'm concerned that the metal will distort or tear the rubber over time;

2.) I wonder if the rubber would get stiff and unworkable at very cold temperatures (say below 0 F) and

3.) I'm not sure the tab that's provided to tuck away the unused tail end of the strap will be terribly effective during extended snowshoeing.

I can't comment on the first two, but one of my boots came out its binding about halfway into my little outing. At this point I noticed that the tail of the other strap had worked its way out of the retaining tab. I don't know if that would have contributed to that boot also coming out of its binding. In any case, I tightened both straps a little more than I had done intially, and didn't have further problems.

I snowshoed over mostly gentle terrain, with one craggy interruption. I had to break trail for only a small part of my trek; the rest was on a reasonably well packed trail.

I am at the upper end of the weight scale recommended for this snowshoe. I found I sank a little more than I would have liked when I broke trail. I was snowshoeing in mostly powder snow with a bit of a crust on top.

The crust gave way with a loud crunch on each step. Quite a lot of snow flew around my ankles, and large quantities found their way into my boots. That's my fault for not wearing gaiters! But in any case I had to climb a good four to six inches to get out of the holes I made with each step. A good workout.

On the packed trail, the snowshoes were terrific. I had walked the same route in hiking boots a couple of weeks ago; my progress was noticeably faster and easier on the snowshoes, because there were no miscues where my leg sank halfway up my calf, as there had been without snowshoes.

I was a little concerned about the craggy part of the trail. This is a steep rise over rocks with an altitude gain of perhaps 100 ft. and a pitch somewhere in the range of 30 to 40 percent. You'd encounter similar terrain in some of the steeper, but not the steepest sections of trails in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, for example.

I found that by standing on my toes, I could handle this section easily. The snowshoes gave very stable grip even in a spot which involves basically climbing stairs, albeit rock stairs covered with snow. I was impressed with how solidly the snowshoes held on.

I tested the snowshoes on one other type of terrain. There was a section of partially plowed road that had subsequently frozen over. There are sets of metal teeth that run in a sort of hourglass pattern under the sides of each snowshoe; there is also a sort of mini-crampon under the toe of the boot. This combination was adequate to give a secure grip on the icy road.

Conditions today were just about freezing, with a bit of freezing rain, perfect conditions for gobs of snow to adhere to the metal teeth, or to the snowshoes themselves. That could have made the snowshoes VERY heavy! This didn't happen, which is a terrific point in favor of these snowshoes. The metal pieces seem to be coated in teflon, or a similar material. Possibly this is standard on all snowshoes these days.

All in all, these appear to be very serviceable snowshoes. I wouldn't want to spend an entire day breaking fresh trail in them, but they do break trail adequately when called upon. Similarly, they're capable of taking me up a steep pitch, but I wouldn't take them to the Himalayas.

I give them 4 rather than 5 stars because even for casual use, I'm not convinced about the security and longevity of the rubber heel strap. I could be wrong about that, though; it could be that my own experience of a boot coming out resulted simply because I didn't stretch the strap enough at first to keep the boot in securely. And the material may be as tough as kryptonite.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Flex TRK versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Flex TRK. Read all reviews »

Visit Tubbs's Flex TRK page.

The Tubbs Flex Trek snowshoes are well suited for day hiking in moderate terrain. The QuickPull binding system makes slipping on, and tightening the binding around your boot, seamless. Great side-hill grip is had with the 3D-Curved Traction Rails. The light and durable torsion deck will flex to adjust to terrain changes and snow conditions. Torsion Deck design Traction Rails (carbon steel toe crampon) Rotating Toe Cord - Rotation Limiter QuickPull binding system Flex Tail technology 16deg ActiveLift heel lift

- OMCgear

Hike off the beaten path with the Tubbs Men's Flex Trek Snowshoe. Ideal for those interested in taking a hike along flat and rolling terrain in mid winter, the Flex Trek enables you to walk freely and easily over snow so you're not confined to the treadmill during the colder months. The Torsion Deck frame flexes to match uneven terrain, and the 3-D curved traction rails bite into hard and icy snow for secure footing every step of the way. Plus, the 16-degree Active Lift heel reduces strain on your calf muscles when the trail starts to get steep. Thanks to its QuickPull binding system, an intuitive forefoot strap cinches easily and unlocks with one buckle push. Its pivoting toe stop allows speedy adjustment and Control Wings keep your heel aligned. A Rotating Toe Cord design enables the tail of the snowshoe to drop and snow to shed off the tail, reducing cardio-respiratory strain by 7%. The underfoot pivot point also allows the toe traction teeth to bite deeply into the snow when weighted while a rotation limiter prevents over-rotation and shin bang. The Flex also has an ergonomically and bio-mechanically designed Flex Tail that absorbs shock from heel strike, reduces the amount of stress on your joints, and allows you to snowshoe farther and longer and with less stress on your body.

An excellent value, the FLEX TRK has all of the important FLEX Series features like FLEX Tail(TM), Torsion Deck, and 3D-Curved Traction Rails at an affordable price. The Compact Design makes it the perfect choice for trail blazers, and the QuickFLEX binding will hold your foot securely for long trips. Tubbs' FLEX Series snowshoes are the culmination of years of research, testing and engineering to create the most ergonomic and comfortable snowshoe on the market. An industry first, the patented FLEX Tail(TM) design absorbs impact from heel strike and allows the foot to roll naturally from heel to toe. The end of result of this design is less stress and strain on the muscles and joints in your foot, and a more natural walking stride. With other important features like Torsion Deck, curved traction rails, and a Soft Strike(TM) zone, Tubbs didn't sacrifice performance for comfort. The FLEX Series snowshoes are optimized for walking on packed and variable snow with a lightweight, compact design, and they excel in everything from established trails to icy alpine conditions. Model Dimensions Surface Area Weight Per Pair Optimal Load Men's Flex TRK 24 8" x 24" 165 in^2 3.6 lbs One Size *In packed or variable snow conditions the FLEX snowshoes are appropriate for all weights. In powder snow conditions the mens' models are best up to 190 lbs. The Tubbs Story: Founded in 1906 in Norway, Maine, Tubbs Snowshoes is the leading manufacturer of lightweight, versatile snowshoes for men, women and children. Now based in Seattle, Washington, in the shadow of the always-snowy 14,400 ft Mt. Rainier, Tubbs continues to lead the snowshoeing industry through a deep understanding of the sport and constant technological innovation. From Admiral Byrd's famed expedition to Antarctica, to modern day adventure racing, Tubbs manufactures snowshoes for all types of terrain and snow conditions. With over 25 patents issued and pending, Tubbs continues to raise the bar for efficient, comfortable and innovative snowshoe designs.

- Rocky Mountain Trail

CLOSEOUTS . With a shock-absorbing Flex Tail and carbon steel toe crampon, Tubbs Flex TRK 24 snowshoes are a great value for hiking on firm snow and through rolling terrain. Available Colors: BLACK/YELLOW, BLACK/BLACK/RED.

- Sierra Trading Post