Tubbs Mountain Series

If you don't have small feet you must wear a hiking…

If you don't have small feet you must wear a hiking or mountaineering boot to fit the bindings.

I bought these two years ago. They are great. The tubular frame is very strong. I have (accidentally) stood on one shoe with only the very tip and tail of the frame on two different logs, and nothing but a hole from where the snow fell away in the middle. I am 250 lbs. and I had a 60+lbs. pack on for winter camping. That's a strong snowshoe. I'm not into fast and light in the winter, more like heavy and warm.

The swivel and crampon system are great. No slipping. They had less float than the Pinnacles, but awesome footing.

The binding is great. The only thing I didn't like was that the heel would slide on the decking. To solve this I cut a snowboard stomp pad to fit the bottom of the binding and the decking. Now I get plenty of heel grip and only get slip in very wet conditions.

With just enough surface area to prevent excessive…

With just enough surface area to prevent excessive sinkage, you can head out for anything ranging from a leisurely stroll to a backwoods jog with these numbers. And the size of the cramp-teeth -- RAAHHR! Steep hills are no longer a problem. A solid shoe.

One problem: the attached binding will hold, but not as well as the old school styles do. When you order, ask for binding options, and go for the classic.

If you've owned or used a Tubbs Mountain Series, please share your experience.

Tubbs Mountain Series

The Mountain Series has been discontinued.

The Tubbs Mountain Series is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 25, 2008 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new backcountry snowshoe, check out the best reviewed current models.