Ultimate Survival Technologies Base Tube Tarp 1.0

erected packed
Weight 1 lb 12 oz / 794 g
Dimensions 39 x 84 x 35 in / 99 x 213 x 89 cm 15 x 4 x 4 /381 x 102 x 102 mm

A light and simple emergency shelter. I got this as…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (2016 Trailspace Reviewer of the Month prize package)

Summary

A light and simple emergency shelter.

Pros

• Bright color
  • Light
  • Easy to set up

Cons

• None?

I got this as part of the 10 Essentials prize pack as a 2016 Trailspace Reviewer of the Month.

DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg
I haven't used it on some emergency situation since I luckily haven't had one. But I have set it up just to get familiar with it.

The color is right to get easily spoted when waiting for resque and the weight is, as expected, very low. I think it was at around 700gr. Perfect for carrying as a safety net on an imminent bad weather.

All it takes is two trees to make a rope line and a somehow soft terrain to form the triangle shape (the basic setup) and that's it!

DSC_0039.jpg

The beauty of the triangle shape is that you can use you trekking poles to form the base as well, ditching the pegs and shaving extra weight provided that you have the rubber caps for your poles so that you don't puncture the fabric.

DSC_0037.jpg
Overall very happy with it. Thanks, Trailspace!

Thanks for the review, Nick. Last spring I realized if this thing had 2 additional tabs it could be converted into an A-frame hammock tarp. I don't sew. So I haven't made the mod yet.

Nick Mesarhakis

Interesting concept! Please do post any pics if you do the mod, because although I don't sew too my father does, so...

1 month ago

Thanks for the info, Nick. Goose, that sounds like an interesting modification. Keep us posted.