Ultimate Survival Technologies Trekker Stormproof Lighter

Solid windproof lighter, with a large capacity. Feel…

Price Paid: $70 canadian

Summary

Solid windproof lighter, with a large capacity. Feel similar quality to the other UST products I own.

Pros

• Hot, windproof flame.
  • Large fuel capacity (est. 90 min burn)
  • Dual locking latch system

Cons

• Locks open easily
  • Lighter can be tricky to get started

I luckily came across this lighter in a local shop and had to have it! I have the UST Survival Kit and thought this lighter would be as good as the kit has been.

Upon first impression, I noticed the latches opened very easily, however it is double locked to keep it closed. This unit feels solid, although very light at the same time!

One concern I have is the plastic hinge on the lid. I'm worried that it might get damaged easily, but I will give it the benefit of a doubt. With normal use, the hinge shouldn't be a problem as the lighter should be closed most of the time.

I've tried it out a few times and after I figured out how to light it consistently, it's a wicked lighter! One big tip is you have to press the ignited a bit to get the gas flowing then push it the rest of the way very firmly. I can light it over and over again. It just takes a bit of practice.

Ultimate Survival Technologies Trekker Stormproof Lighter

The Ultimate Survival Technologies Trekker Stormproof Lighter is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 28, 2016 at Tahoe Mountain Sports.

If you're looking for a new fire starter, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016