Vargo Titanium Emergency Whistle

Weight 0.1 oz / 3 g
Dimensions 2.2 x 0.3 in / 56 x 8 mm

Simple, effective, super lightweight and powerfully…

Price Paid: Full Retail Price

Summary

Simple, effective, super lightweight and powerfully necessary, the Vargo Titanium Emergency Whistle is a tremendous asset and needs to be a supplement in every outdoor enthusiast's pocket.

Pros

• Titanium construction
  • Super lightweight at just 3g
  • One-Piece Pea-less Design
  • Reflective lanyard may come in handy
  • Necessary gear - No Reason not to carry one.
  • It retails for just $10.95 - You can't go wrong!

Cons

• Don't own one? That's your mistake!

There comes a time when we all must realize that we are smaller than the sum of all things. Take, for example, the very unfortunate accident that could have ended dishearteningly worse to Aron Ralston and the basis for the movie, "127 Hours". I can't even imagine how brave this young man must have been. With that said, there are a number of mindful measures we must do to make the best of any situation and avoid dispiriting tragedy…

Whether it's in your clothes pocket, a stuff sack, long-corded around your neck, emergency bag, ditty bag, pack pocket, etc., a whistle, within reach, is an absolute necessity for everyone and anyone on the trail.

Features & Specifications:

• Titanium construction
  • 100+ decibel level sound
  • Pea-less design
  • 0.1oz (3g) whistle only; whistle & lanyard weigh 6g
  • 2.2" x 0.3" (56mm x 8mm)
  • 32" Reflective lanyard

This emergency whistle is in my pocket at all times! I've never had to use it, but if I need to it is readily available, within reach, at all times. I do not leave home without it! I trust the titanium construction to last a lifetime and because of the pea-less design there are no moving parts to malfunction. This is just one of many safety devices that remains a MUST HAVE every time you hit the trail! Make it a Happy Trails adventure!

Quick note… I purchased two of these, one for myself, one for my girlfriend. The first one arrived with a hairline crack down the entire body of the whistle. The retailer it was purchased from was very apologetic and more than happy to replace it. Be sure yours does not have any defects to ensure proper operation.

Reach Your Summit!

Bill S

I agree that this is a required item. I have 2 Fox 40 Classic whistles. One is a white "glow in the dark", and the other is international orange. The white one is easy to find in the dark, if I should drop it, though it disappears in snow. The orange one is easy to find if I drop it in the snow. I have multi-colored lanyards on each. I work with Boy Scouts (and their adult leaders) a lot - I require them to have emergency whistles. I also do competitive orienteering - an emergency whistle is required at all organized orienteering meets.

David Drake

Hi Bill, The Fox 40 Classic's are indeed classics! I have a couple of similar plastic whistles floating around the house somewhere, that I used to use, but figured I get the Ti whistle for the smaller size, and the reduced chance of damage. As you can see, I attach mine to a Leatherman and stuff it in a zippered pocket each time I head out. Incidentally, I have always carried an emergency whistle of some kind with me and most likely because of someone like yourself, when I was a Boy Scout, telling me it is essential equipment. Thanks, Bill!! Way to go with the Boy Scouts!!! I'd also like to note that I use the Leatherman's pliers so often, here in the desert, I don't know what I would do without one. I hike with Vibram FiveFingers and inevitably need to remove thorns from my shoes and/or body every time I head out. And, I can't say enough about zippered pockets… It's all too easy for some small gear to precariously fall from a pocket. I have found two small camera's, among other things, on the trail in the past several years that may have been safer in a zippered pocket. Thanks again, Bill!