Vasque Bitterroot GTX

These boots are leather and Goretex, so they can run…

Price Paid: $200-20% Coupon (REI)

Summary

These boots are leather and Goretex, so they can run a little warm, but not as bad as some boots. After using them for about a month and two hikes, one short and one a week long (The WCT), they have worked out very nice. I have had some issues with rubbing on the inside of my big toe and the ball of the foot, but after the second trip they seem to have adjusted to my feet quite well. Or my feet adjusted to the boots.

Pros

• Good grip on soles
  • Waterproofing works
  • Easy to get on and off and lace up

Cons

• Warm
  • Heavy at 3.8lb per pair

I got these boots because they fit my feet at the store (REI) and were very comfortable from the start.  After trying on every pair that they had in a heavy duty backpacking boot, these were about the only ones that fit my feet.

The lacing on the boot works OK, I wish that the boot had lace locks at the top of the foot before the last three sets of eyes. That would make it a lot easier to tighten down the ankle to prevent foot slippage without putting undo force on the top of the foot.

I had no problem with ankle support, even when I was dead tired and stumbling over roots and rock. They also worked great on the extensive ladders on the second trip.

I also had no problem with moisture getting into the boot, until I pushed my socks below my low gators and then they got a little sweaty, but that way my fault, not the boots. I was trying to keep my socks cleaner! Less dirt, but more smell! They dried out that night and were fine the next day.

So far the construction seams to be holding up fine, but after only a month I would expect no less. I plan on using these boots all summer and fall and will update this review as the months go on.

Oldman Mike

I would like to see a follow for these boots, it almost has been 1 year

Wolfman (Wolfgang Greystoke)

Well They worked great last summer. I have been so busy with work (my own business) that I have not gone out at all sense last summer. Hoping to get out again this summer, and I will try to give a second update.

If you've owned or used a Vasque Men's Bitterroot GTX, please share your experience.