Vasque Glacier

I've searched high and low for mountaineering/heavy…

Materials: Leather, cemented sole
Use: Mountaineering / Heavy pack
Break-in Period: A few trips

I've searched high and low for mountaineering/heavy backpacking boots that will fit my narrow heel and wide toes, and finally found the right boots at the right (too right to be true!) price.

The Glaciers look like the more easily available La Sportiva Makalu's but the Glaciers have leather-lined forefeet, roomier toebox, and snugger heels and instep. The upper also seems thicker than the Makalu's. They have stiff Viabram Clusaz soles that are step-in crampon compatible.

I got them by mail order but, these boots were true to my Brannock device measurements, so they fit right out of the box. (Get the typical one-half size longer than the actual measurement.) These are serious mountain boots so they do require more breaking in than Nike Air Mada's.

I'd rate them to be in the same caliber as the Scarpa Eiger, La Sportiva Makalu, and the Raichle Roseg.

They've been discontinued but I found my pair for $150.00 at Red Wing Shoe Store in Orem, Utah. They have outstanding customer service, and still have plenty of boots left the last time I checked.

-Ray

If you've owned or used a Vasque Glacier, please share your experience.

Vasque Glacier

The Glacier has been discontinued.

The Vasque Glacier is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.