Vasque Luna

Owned Vasque boots for about 20 years. This version…

Summary

Owned Vasque boots for about 20 years. This version takes some time to break in, just like my old pair, and is waterproof to the point where I stood in 50-degree water for 20 minutes fishing with them and was comfortable and dry.

I have wide feet and this pair took longer to break in. The soles on my pair have worn out to the point that the plastic layer beneath has been exposed, after only a few years.

Pros

• Surprisingly waterproof
  • Provided good footing for hiking and for bouldering with the rubber toe cap

Cons

• Do not accommodate wide feet well, even after breaking in.
  • Soles wear out prematurely.

My original pair were so comfortable that instead of getting a new pair, I had them re-soled. A guy on Long Island used to do it for a reasonable price. That pair lasted 15 summers and winters.

The soles on my pair have worn out to the point that the plastic layer beneath has been exposed, after only  a few years. Still, I like them. They've improved the toe with a rubber covering, making the boot grip rock better when bouldering or having to scale vertically. With that one exception, they were the same price, but not the same quality compared to older versions.

Good sturdy hiking boot. The stability it offers is…

Good sturdy hiking boot. The stability it offers is great and they're really really water and moisture proof. The only drawback is the time it takes to break them in...

Overall, great boot for a good price. Took them out the first time on a one day hike on a muddy and slippery mountain and loved them. My feet hurt a little at the end (I couldn't wait to take them off...) but I was the only one with dry feet (even if the boots were coated with mud up to the top) and that hadn't slipped from our rushed climb down.

Vasque Luna

The Luna has been discontinued.

The Vasque Luna is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 7, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.