Vasque Sundowner Summit GTX - Women's

Finally, a pair of truly waterproof boots for hiking…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Finally, a pair of truly waterproof boots for hiking and backpacking.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Sturdy
  • Wide

Cons

• A little heavy

These boots are the answer to all of my foot issues. They are wide enough for my weird feet, they were comfortable right out of the box and I can use them for casual hiking or climbing volcanoes. They are waterproof (really!). I have worn them on muddy trails and snowshoeing and they were perfect.

Although these were billed as "Backpacking Boots"…

Materials: Waterproofed nubuck leather, Gore-Tex drop lining with wicking nylon knit
Use: short dayhikes, backpacking
Break-in Period: At least 2 weeks
Weight: 3 lbs, 6.5 oz

Although these were billed as "Backpacking Boots" at REI I will never use them for that. They are much too heavy and after awhile my toes seem to go numb in them from the weird way they rock forward when I walk, although my then 11 y.o. son said they felt fine on him, during a week at Boy Scout camp.

They are comfortable to me only for short hikes on soft ground. I like to be able to "feel" the ground more when I walk than these allow. They are my back-up boots when my favorite pair are drying.

Even though they are women's boots I bought them for my son summer 2006. They haven't been worn very often since.

The discomfort may be in part to the boots being size 8M and I normally wear 7.5 Wide in Women's. I would advise getting a good fit in whatever boot is chosen.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Sundowner Summit GTX versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there are 7 reviews for other versions of the Sundowner Summit GTX. Read all reviews »