I owned Asolo Annapurnas and didn't like them. Alaska…

Materials: synthetic
Use: mountaineering including ice climbing
Break-in Period: 1 day?
Weight: 4 lbs?

I owned Asolo Annapurnas and didn't like them. Alaska Mountaineering and Hardwear had the Super Alpinistas on sale so I struck.

The Super Alpinistas are very warm; I have had extended use in them in -30F temps. I have wide feet and these boots feet great. I did get heel slip the first time I climbed so I use green Superfeet and am good-to-go now. Overall, the fit is great; the boots even are comfortable for walking (sans crampons). I was warned that they would be "too big and cumbersome" but found that to be untrue. I suppose they are compared to small, lower-48 style boots, but these things were made to take a beating and are built tough. I still have plenty of maneuverability when I wear them.

Waterproofness is also fantastic. A climber above me punched through a waterfall and we had running water on us but my feet were dry.

The only concern beyond the original change in fit, using the Superfeet, is the lacing. I have to lace super-tight and walk for about 10-15 minutes. The movement works the lacing pressure even throughout the boot and I have to stop and retighten from there. Once I do it the second time, I am good-to-go for the day. It seems like a pain when I'm doing it but overall, it's not a big issue.

I would recommend these boots to medium and wide-footed people who are looking for a warm mountaineering boot. I would further recommend them to individuals who operate in multiple mountaineering activities versus those who ice climb only. There are boots tailored to ice climbing while the Super Alpinistas are made to take the entire mountain experience.