VauDe Rock Ultralight 25

If you're looking for a near-gossamer day/one night…

Summary

If you're looking for a near-gossamer day/one night pack that's built like a tank, stop. I found it for you. The VauDe Rock Ultralight 25 is top-loading, accepts a bladder, and has a removable, molded plastic back plate. Plenty big enough for a warm weather overnight, or a cold weather day pack/peak bag.

It's also got a smart compression system; a thin cord that runs down the sides of the pack, with smooth plastic runners that allow the cord to be removed. You weight weenies oughta like that. The pack comes in red-orange and black. I got the former.

Pros

• Very light
  • Very roomy
  • Very compressible
  • Removable back plate

Cons

• Hard to access bladder valve
  • Could use more pockets

I am a 47-year-old man, 142 lbs and 5' 8" tall. I've been backpacking and hiking for 35 years.

I bought the backpack for two reasons; price and because my fiance needed one. I ordered it from Sierra Trading Post's website on June 9th for $43.44 with tax and before shipping.

The first thing I noticed, beside the color, was the weight. 1 lb 6 oz. Seriously? And that's before the back plate came out. Probably right at one pound, now. The fabric, of apparent quality, is very thin. I have, though, packed it so tight I could read the brand on my compression sack. Never did I suspect it would compromise the seams.

The lid has two pockets, one accessible from the outside. The other is accessible by opening the lid, and the zipper is well positioned for easy opening, and is covered by mesh for easier viewing of the contents.

I haven't worn it with the back plate under load, but I imagine it suits its purpose just fine.

Getting the plate out is a bit of a hassle; there's a strip of hook & loop fastener that runs the length of it. To get it out, you have to slide your arm in between the pack and plate, keep it there, and then work the plate out with your other hand. It ain't going back in. Without the back plate, the pack probably fits another 5-10 liters.

Under a full load, the pack fits well. The back ventilation system is a series of eight padded cushions, raising the back from your back. The straps aren't padded, but wide enough to spread the weight. Being more like a climbing pack, the waist strap isn't padded. Actually, it's just 1" webbing. It does provide stability, though it isn't weight-bearing. Even with a full, 3-liter bladder, it remained comfortable and stable.

That said, the hole that the hydration hose goes through isn't in the best place, making access a to the valve bit difficult. Not a deal breaker for me.

I also tried it under a lighter, day pack load and utilized the compression system. Because it draws from several points, it really snugs down well over an uneven load.

Access to the pockets is simple. Again, the pocket inside the lid is positioned such that the zipper is near you when you open it. The mesh allows for easy viewing of those little bits of gear.

My 50L pack has side pockets, and I like them. I'd like for this pack to have a bit more external storage.

In the end, I'm very satisfied with this purchase. It's a pack that I'm quite sure my fiance and I will use for years.

The Rock Ultralight 25 is a very lightweight climbing backpack, great for technical rock climbing or peak bagging.

- CampSaver.com

CLOSEOUTS . Look to Vaude's Rock UItralight 25 backpack for lightweight, stable gear transport when every ounce matters. The Anatomic NT suspension system features a load-distributing backplate, Tergo Pads along the curve of the spine and ventilation channels for all-day comfort. Available Colors: BLUE, RED, BLACK, ORANGE, SHADOW.

- Sierra Trading Post

Thanks to its simple design and ability to pack down into its own lid, the Vaude Rock Ultralight 25 Pack is an ideal hauler for minimalist mountain adventures and summit bids.

How much does 25 liters of pack volume weigh 600 grams The Rock Ultralight Comfort 25 can be stowed in its pack lid making it not only the lightest backpack for climbers and mountain sports minimalists but also a sophisticated emergency backpack that can fit in any pocket Comfortably outfitted with a removable back panel and a welded padded Anatomic NT suspension system for a secure good fit Optional rain cover sold separatelyFeatures backpack is completely stowable in top lid compartment zip pocket in the lid additional zip lid pocket inside side compression drawcord removable anatomical preformed PE back panel welded padded back webbing hip belt sternum strap

- Bentgate.com

Very lightweight, roomy climbing backpack for longer day trips. Backpack is completely stowable in top lid compartment, Zip pocket in the lid, Additional zip lid pocket inside, Side compression drawcord, Removable anatomical preformed PE back panel, Welded, padded back, Webbing hip belt, Sternum strap

- Altrec Outdoors

VauDe Rock Ultralight 25

The Rock Ultralight 25 has been discontinued.

The VauDe Rock Ultralight 25 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.