Venture Snowboards Storm Split

I'm riding the 166 Storm, and it has far surpassed…

Price Paid: $895 USD

Summary

I'm riding the 166 Storm, and it has far surpassed my expectations for a splitboard- The interface is tight, and the progressive camber makes staying on top of deep snow a snap. There's lots of pop in it for a bigger board, no noodley action shifting from one edge to the other. The arrow-pointed, flared nose cuts through crust while keeping the tip above an untimely snag.

Pros

• Handmade in the USA- Silverton, Colorado
  • Great shape and performance
  • 2 Year warranty
  • Tight interface
  • Snappy and light for a splitboard

Cons

• Unimaginative base graphics—That's the only criticism I have!

I put in an average of fifty backcountry days a year, and refuse to run a quiver of splitboards; They are expensive and very distinct in their performance, so selecting one go-to model is, in my opinion, the best route.

The Storm is a true freeride design—It chops through crud where you need it, and performs nimbly in powder, be it dust on crust, or two feet deep.

I have often seen and ridden splitboards whose tip and tail interfaces and sectional interfaces are loose and janky. The Storm slides and locks together like... well, a lock I guess. It is responsive, lightweight, and strong.

My only wish for this board is the incorporation of an improved system for attaching climbing skins at the butt-ends in ski-mode.

Venture Snowboards Storm Split

The Venture Snowboards Storm Split is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 22, 2016 at Backcountry.com.

"Lazy. And Damn Good Looking"—Meet Andy, Backpacker, Geographer, Reviewer of the Month

Tepui Expedition Series Gear Bag Review