Venture Snowboards Storm Split

I'm riding the 166 Storm, and it has far surpassed…

Price Paid: $895 USD

Summary

I'm riding the 166 Storm, and it has far surpassed my expectations for a splitboard- The interface is tight, and the progressive camber makes staying on top of deep snow a snap. There's lots of pop in it for a bigger board, no noodley action shifting from one edge to the other. The arrow-pointed, flared nose cuts through crust while keeping the tip above an untimely snag.

Pros

• Handmade in the USA- Silverton, Colorado
  • Great shape and performance
  • 2 Year warranty
  • Tight interface
  • Snappy and light for a splitboard

Cons

• Unimaginative base graphics—That's the only criticism I have!

I put in an average of fifty backcountry days a year, and refuse to run a quiver of splitboards; They are expensive and very distinct in their performance, so selecting one go-to model is, in my opinion, the best route.

The Storm is a true freeride design—It chops through crud where you need it, and performs nimbly in powder, be it dust on crust, or two feet deep.

I have often seen and ridden splitboards whose tip and tail interfaces and sectional interfaces are loose and janky. The Storm slides and locks together like... well, a lock I guess. It is responsive, lightweight, and strong.

My only wish for this board is the incorporation of an improved system for attaching climbing skins at the butt-ends in ski-mode.

Venture Snowboards Storm Split

The Venture Snowboards Storm Split is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2014 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new splitboard, check out the best reviewed current models.