Vibram FiveFingers Lontra

These aren't perfect (could be a tad warmer and more…

Summary

These aren't perfect (could be a tad warmer and more flexible), but I believe they are the best minimalist winter shoe you can find.

Pros

• waterproof
  • warm(ish)
  • comfortable
  • good traction
  • minimalist

Cons

• difficult to get on and off
  • could be warmer
  • not as flexible as other models

I've been wearing minimalist footwear for around five years now, and Vibram FiveFingers have always been my favorite so I was stoked when they came out with this winter model. I originally started out with the men's version because I wasn't able to find the women's in my area. As much as I wanted to love them, I couldn't due to poor fit (EXTREMELY tight around the ankles, but loose in other areas).

I returned these and settled on the ONE pair of women's that I could find, even though it was a size down from what I normally wear. This made all the difference. I absolutely LOVE these shoes, although I will admit that I could easily go a size larger. (I will probably exchange the pair that I have as soon as I can locate a store with my proper size.)

I work on a farm in Oregon, and the Lontras have held up beautifully in the constant rain and mud for the last three months. I would say that they are VERY waterproof and KIND OF warm. They definitely don't keep my feet as warm as a pair of boots with wool socks would, but I accept that they are MINIMALIST shoes, and this is probably about as warm as they are gonna get.

If you want to make sure you stay as warm as possible, I would suggest buying a size up from what you regularly wear and throwing on a pair of toe socks underneath. While these have kept me warm ENOUGH in Oregon, I don't think I would want to exclusively depend on them in a colder climate. The traction is wonderful, but the flexibility is quite a bit less than other FiveFingers that I have worn. I think this comes from the fact that it must be slightly difficult to design a minimalist shoe for winter wear.

The ankle cuff keeps stuff out fairly well, but this also makes it a challenge to get them on and off easily. After you break them in a little, this becomes easier so don't let it dissuade you from purchasing them. Overall, I took off one star from the rating, due to the fact that I feel they could keep my toes a little warmer and perhaps be a little more minimalist, but for the most part, I am very happy with them.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Vibram Five Fingers Women's Lontra Shoe FEATURES of the Vibram Five Fingers Women's Lontra Shoe Micropile Fleece Liner Stretch Mesh and waterresistant membrane upper Trek sole for Light Cleating and Grip on a Variety of Surfaces 4mm Midsole Offers Plating Protection and Insulates Foot Vibram TC-1 Dura Compound SPECIFICATIONS of the Vibram Five Fingers Women's Lontra Shoe Weight: 5.40 oz Upper: Stretch Mesh + Water-Resistant Membrane Max Sole Thickness: 7.5 mm This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Barefoot running doesn't mean cold fee with the Lontra Trail Runner from Vibram FiveFingers. Be able to run in ice and snow with a multi-layer, fully taped seamed upper to provide insulation and water resistance. The 4mm EVA midsole keeps your feet insulated from frozen surfaces and the outsole provides traction, durability and superior plating protection.

- Mountain Gear

Popular Uses For The SeeYa LS: RunningTrekking Specifications: Materials: Upper - Laminated Stretch Mesh + Water Resistant MembraneSole - Vibram TC-1 Dura + EVA MidsoleFootbed: Micropile Fleece Machine Washable. Air Dry. Weight: Women's Size 38 - 5.4oz. each, 10.8oz./pair

- River Sports Outfitters

The minimalist Vibram FiveFingers Lontra women's running shoes are designed for cold and wet conditions, featuring highly water-resistant construction, fleece linings and extended neoprene collars. Laminated polyester stretch-mesh uppers offer plenty of flexibility and are backed with seam-sealed, water-resistant membranes to ward off wet weather and mud. Extended neoprene cuffs help keep ankles warm and seal out mud, snow and debris. Reinforced rip-and-stick straps crisscross insteps for a secure, easily adjustable fit. Individual toe slots enhance dexterity, encouraging natural foot motion; toe bumpers increase protection. Soft micro-pile polyester fleece linings wick moisture away and offer light insulation. Antimicrobial treatment deters odors. 4mm thick EVA midsoles offer light cushioning and protection underfoot. FiveFinger Lontra shoes sport Vibram Dura outsoles made of nonmarking rubber for excellent traction when you're running in cold, wet conditions. In order to allow your feet to adapt to using different muscles, begin use of these shoes gradually and increase over time. To determine size, stand with heels against a wall and measure from the wall to the tip of the longest toe on each foot; use the longer of the 2 lengths with the size chart. All-synthetic construction makes these vegan-friendly.