Victorinox Swiss Army Hiker

Hands down the best knife I have ever used for backpacking.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Hands down the best knife I have ever used for backpacking. Extremely lightweight, with an endless supply of uses. This handy knife can replace several pounds worth of gear and it slips easily in your pocket at well under a pound. I've used Leathermans, Gerbers, Wengers and other multi-tools, but none have delivered the perfect combination of weight, functionality and quality of Victorinox's Hiker.

Pros

• Extremely versatile
  • Blades stay sharp

Cons

• Lacks a corkscrew and pliers

Ease of Use:  Smooth operation with easily accessible tools.  Each of them of great quality and each functions very well.

Features: 2 Knives, Saw, Bottle Opener, Can Opener, Phillips Screwdriver, Flat Head Screwdriver, Awe / Needle, Toothpick, Tweezers... The only two things that it lacks that I would use are a corkscrew and pliers, but at a value to weight ratio, it really can't be beat!

Construction / Durability: This is where the Victorinox really shines!  I've had my knife for at least 15 years and it's as solid as the day I got it! It's been abused at times when it was left overnight in a bucket of salt water, and I've had it gunked up pretty bad, but a little bit of 1040 and it was as good as new!  Blade stays sharp and all the tools still come out smoothly.

Conditions: I've had it for 15 years and I've used it in all kinds of situations and conditions. There are better knives for various situations, but nothing beats the Victorinox Hiker for Backpacking.