Victorinox Swiss Army Recruit

The best pocket knife money can buy. You can keep…

Source: bought it used
Price Paid: £4

The best pocket knife money can buy.

• Superb construction
  • UK legal carry
  • Can take one MEAN edge
  • Cheap as chips

• I prefer the can opener on the Wenger knives

You can keep any other brand as far as I am concerned.  They are all Victorinox wannabes.  This knife is simple, robust, and beats the competition by a clear mile every time.

I own a Spartan and a SwissChamp. Both are first rate. But do you know what is on my EDC keychain? That's right. The Spartan. Along with my Leatherman Micra, it goes with me when I leave home. I know, that between these two tools, sh*t happens and I got it covered.

The Spartan has all of the tools needed for day-to-day life, whether you are in an urban environment or out in the field. The steel is of such quality, you can get one wicked cutting edge on it. Opening a beer bottle? No problem. Cutting cleanly when you need to? Easy peasy.

And the beauty about this knife, for me, is I can carry it LEGALLY here in the UK. But don't let that fool you.  Because if you had to use this knife as a weapon, you could.

Price wise, the only thing you can get cheaper than the Spartan, is one of those God-awful pieces of Chinese crap. Which in my humble opinion, should never be sold.

Welcome to Trailspace, Michael. Thanks for sharing your Victorinox review. I'd love to see reviews of your other tools and knives too.

The perfect first pocket knife that I recommend for…

The perfect first pocket knife that I recommend for all Scouts. It has the most commonly needed tools with a high quality steel that holds an edge well in a size suitable for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts alike.

• Two blades
  • Can opener
  • Fairly simple
  • High quality

• Not so many tools

Ease of Use:  Easy to use! Liner lock securely holds blades open and allows Cub Scouts to close blades easily. Blades come sharp and ready to use. Can opener works great!

Features: Large blade, small blade, can opener, small and large screwdrivers, tweezers, and tooth pick. It also has a bottle opener, wire stripper, and key ring. I find that the blades and can opener are used the most, followed by the screwdrivers and tweezers. Additional tools, though occasionally helpful, make the multi-tool harder to use in general.

Construction and Durability: High quality steel that holds an edge well. Will last a very long time if taken care of properly.

Conditions: Used for wood carving, food preparation, opening packages, opening cans of food, removing splinters, tightening and removing screws.

Let Bear Cub Scouts use it to learn about pocket knives with these, sharpening and carving with them. (They frequently make the blades worse when first trying to sharpen them, but quickly get the hang of it.)