VonZipper Fishbowl Goggle

For massive field of vision goggles, pretty good.

Summary

For massive field of vision goggles, pretty good. Overall, decent.

Pros

• Incredible field of vision
  • Light
  • Look amazing

Cons

• Crappy optics
  • Feel flimsy
  • Sacrifice nose space for huge lens

Somehow scored these for $20 on one of Backcountry's one deal at a time sites, and was so stoked to get them in the mail. How often do you score a $160 pair of goggles for $20??

They came in the purple erkle color (tie dye print on the strap, translucent purple frame, bluish tint lens).  Putting these things on, they're incredible. You see basically nothing of the frame except a bit around your eyebrows and nose if you REALLY look hard. It's mind blowing. Riding with them is really amazing, you can see everything without moving your head, and you don't realize what you AREN'T seeing until you try something like these.  It's hard to go back to normal goggles, but I did eventually.

Here's why:

1) The optics sucked.  They seemed hazy, and there was a huge horizontal line in the field of vision.  It wasn't a scratch, more like a ripple in the plastic, that distorted my vision.  I emailed VonZipper about the problem, and they said they would replace it if I sent in the goggles.  I'm not saying that's poor customer service, but the ultimate stoke would have been to just send a new one out to me, no charge.  Other companies would have.  The optics just aren't clear like my Oakleys, or even a pair of Smiths.

2) They are light, but not in a good way.  They feel cheap.  Holding a pair of Oakleys in my hands, they feel solid, very little flex, dense plastics, no slop or creaking where the frame meets the lens.  I realize that a flexible frame is more comfortable, but these things just felt cheap.  The plastic flexed, and creaked where it met the lens, and the translucent color didn't help it seem of higher quality.  They felt like a toy.

3) Although I LOVED the field of vision, VZ did sacrifice some comfort at the expense of being the biggest goggle on the block.  They're bigger than anything out there, EG2, APX, anything.  But that comes with a price: no nose room.  I felt like they pinched my nose, and I have a fairly small nose, definitely not big (as a frame of reference, I feel NO pressure whatsoever from a-frames).  I just couldn't handle it.

Overall, they look amazing, and the field of view is killer.  But the lack of quality ultimately led me to sell them and go back to my smaller a-frames, but so much higher quality in optics, frame, and more comfortable (subjective).

Visit VonZipper's Fishbowl Goggle page.

If you've ever looked at your goldfish and wondered what it would be like to see the world from that point of view, now you can. The Von Zipper Fishbowl Goggle throws out over-the-top size to give you larger-than-life swag and a uninhibited view of the world.

CLOSEOUTS . With a supersized, vented and double cylindrical lens, VonZipper's Fishbowl snowsport goggles offer maximum peripheral vision and optical clarity on the slopes. Available Colors: BLACK GLOSS/AMBER.

- Sierra Trading Post

Tear up the park and get some freshies with the best view on the mountain when you're wearing the VonZipper Fishbowl Goggles. The gi-normous spherical lenses offer maximum peripheral vision and 100% UV protection. A frame with polar fleece-lined face foam hugs the contours of your features and the anti-fog coating and lens vents keep your view crystal clear. Skiing or snowboarding, you're gonna love the comfy, oversized dual adjustable strap and the bigger-than-life style of these VonZipper snow goggles. Just don't stick your head in the salt water tank at the sushi restaurant. That didn't work out so well with your first pair.

- Altrec Outdoors

VonZipper Fishbowl Goggle

The VonZipper Fishbowl Goggle is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 12, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new goggle, check out the best reviewed current models.