Werner Cyprus

Outstanding premium touring paddle, extremely well…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Outstanding premium touring paddle, extremely well designed and built. Always a pleasure to use.

Pros

• Ergonomics
  • Design
  • Attention to detail

Cons

• Price? You get what you pay for with this one.

I've been paddling with a Cyprus since 2011. Several two-week expeditions and many shorter trips.  Lots of day paddling. I'm a sea kayaking instructor.

I initially purchased the Cyprus as a backup to my Werner Ikelos (also an excellent paddle) because I wanted something with a slightly smaller blade area for long days on the water with a heavy boat.  It quickly became my primary expedition paddle thanks to reduce stress on my elbows. I carry the Ikelos as a spare/backup/teaching paddle.

The break-apart mechanism is the best I've used.

Materials are all top-of-the-line.  The positive buoyancy inherent in the foam core is a nice move up from solid glass composite models.  Werner has ensured that the paddle is beefy by adding strengthening stringers that are invisible but create a super strong paddle.

This is a paddle designed for the intermediate/advanced paddler. If you have not used a core paddle, you will immediately notice that the blade is absolutely neutral hydro-dynamically, in particular when sculling. If you have learned to scull with non-core paddles, you will be forced to develop proper technique when using the Cyprus.  But once you get it, the degree of precision and resulting control will only serve to increase your pleasure on the water... plus, you'll have a hard time wiping that grin off your face.

Nice review, Strika! Thanks for sharing it.