Western Mountaineering AlpinLite

This bag works great as a 3-season bag here in Northern…

Price Paid: $300?

Summary

This bag works great as a 3-season bag here in Northern MI, and the 20° rating is the REAL thing!

Pros

• True to rated temperature
  • Generous shoulders
  • Light weight
  • Ultra-packable

Cons

• When drawn tight, the strings around the hood hang in your face
  • No pocket

I camp every month of the year, both on my own and with the Boy Scouts. I have used this sleeping bag, primarily in Northern Michigan, for the past 3 years.

It works great as a 3-season bag here, and the 20° rating is a REAL rating when used with a quality ground pad.  I have been in the low 20s several times without noticing any cold spots, and is easily vented when the temperatures soar into the 70s.

The shoulders and footbox are generous, by mummy standards, and the draft tubes are well placed.  There is very little down "bleed", and it is fairly easy to pull the occasional feather poking through back into the bag.  The nylon is lightweight but not nearly as fragile as others I have seen.

Opposing full length zippers make venting as well as getting in and out easy.  I am 5'10" tall, and use the 6'0" bag.

This is a premium down sleeping bag. It is a mummy…

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Return)

Summary

This is a premium down sleeping bag. It is a mummy style, but it is a "wide mummy," which I like. It is also very warm, yet light weight. See my video review below for full details on this bag... it's a good one!

Pros

• light weight
  • warmth

Cons

• down bags won't work well if wet

I love this bag. I've used it in the damp Southeast…

Design: mummy
Fill: down
Temperature Rating: 20 degrees
Weight: 2 pounds 2 ounces (6' 6" model)

I love this bag. I've used it in the damp Southeast during fall and most of winter for over two years.

It is conservatively rated, lightweight, packs small, breathes well, and dries quickly. This bag is rated for 20* and will go a little below that for me- an average sleeper.

The bag has continuous baffles, plenty of down for the rating, the baffles loft well and hold the down in position, the zipper and down collar work very well. The zipper is almost full length, the hood closes well - so tightening it up in the cold or opening it for warmer nights is good to go.

The fabric and price are the only downsides. If you really want to shave ounces the fabric is a good trade off, but if you want your investment to last a long time this fabric needs to be treated gently.

The cost - well I think it is overpriced for what it is- but the market bears the price so I had no choice but to pay the big bucks for it. The score of 4 is based on the price - otherwise it would have gotten a 5.

I would recommend it. It is expensive, but it is the best bag I have ever owned in thirty some odd years.

If you've owned or used a Western Mountaineering AlpinLite, please share your experience.