Western Mountaineering Antelope GWS

Max user height 5 ft 6 in / 165 cm 6 ft 0 in / 180 cm 6 ft 6 in / 200 cm
Shoulder girth 62 in / 157 cm 62 in / 157 cm 63 in / 160 cm
Hip girth 53 in / 135 cm 53 in / 135 cm 54 in / 137 cm
Foot girth 39 in / 99 cm 39 in / 99 cm 39 in / 99 cm

This sleeping bag feels as if you are inside of a…

Summary

This sleeping bag feels as if you are inside of a cloud. The bag's rating makes it a superior choice for winter camping. I love the way the mummy bag is designed. You have drawstrings by the neck and also by the hood. This lets you control warmth and air flow. The two zippers make it ideal for venting heat from the foot area if too warm and also unzipping the top zipper to cool off your torso.

Pros

• Double zippers
  • 8-9 " loft
  • GWS finish takes away all condensation

Cons

• One velcro tab is right near my chin and itches
  • Not as shiny with the GWS coating
  • GWS finish makes the bag heavier

The bag keeps me super warm in cold weather. I found out that I can also use it as a quilt if I unzip it, flip it, and put my feet in the bottom. This bag has no cold spots, no drafts coming inside. I feel as though I am in a cocoon—safe and warm and comfortable.

I am 5'4" and the 5' 6" bag fits me perfect with lots of room to slide down if I want to nest. I have bigger hips, but this bag gives me plenty of room to sleep in any position. Sometimes I have to go potty in the middle of the night and it easily zips down for a fast exit.

I put the GWS on my bag because I was worried about condensation inside of my tent. Never a problem now and any drops inside my tent just roll right down if they touch my bag. The bag is a little stiff to compress due to the GWS coating, but I can still get it compacted in my 13L bag.

I am taking this bag on the PCT in April of 2017. I love this bag. It is my favorite piece of equipment. All features work as expected, no hassle. This bag lives up to my expectations and more.

I have used this gear for about 10 months now, still looks brand new. I took it to Mount Rainier and also to Cascade Locks for PCT Days when I camped on Thunder Island. I love the color too. I am afraid Western Mountaineering will never top this bag. It is perfect for me as a thru-hiker, just love it!

Thanks, Mig (trail name "YIPPEE")

Welcome to Trailspace, Mig! Thanks for taking the time to share a review of your WM bag. I'd love to see some pictures of yours, if you're willing to share some in your review. Good luck with your 2017 PCT hike!

Mig Whitt

Thanks Alicia, I think your site is great.

Lee Patterson

Nice review Mig. I have 2 WM bags and they are insanely comfortable and a good bit warmer than the stated temp rating. The attention to detail is incredible. The GWS material is bomber. Expensive, and worth every penny.

Mig Whitt

I agree Lee, I had no idea how I would feel inside of it but it is the warmest bag especially in the winters here in Idaho. I know it is expensive but it really was worth it and it will be the bag I have for the rest of my life unless I go and get a versalite for some summer camping.

Thank you, Mig! I also have a WM bag, and they are excellent. You pay a lot up front, but they're worth it in the long term.