Western Mountaineering Apache Super DL

This bag is the perfect fit, no joke. Sometimes I…

Design: Mummy
Fill: 750 fill down
Temperature Rating: 15 F
Weight: 2 lbs. 8 oz.
Price Paid: $265 secondhand

This bag is the perfect fit, no joke. Sometimes I doubt these reviews because they always seem so positive. But this is a great bag, perhaps perfect for my area, the Northeast AT from Virginia through Vermont. It really comes down to perfection in the cut. The hood cover really well. The Super DL and MF models have draft collars, which are really a necessity. The only thing I would have done differently is getting microfiber instead of dryloft. I got the dry loft model pre-owned, but unused, saving a good deal of $. I would rather have had the microfiber model, just b/c I don't think that the extra water repellency from dryloft is necessary for my use.

I have tried many other bags, and this is the best one by far. But it is expensive, and in recent years all the new manufacturers and new models of bags have become very respectable and adequate for those on tight budgets. A decade ago, good quality could only be found in a few brands. No more. Western Mountaineering just happens to still be the best.

The bag is very warm, and stuffs small. Haven't pushed…

Design: Close -cut mummy
Fill: 700+ fill down
Temperature Rating: 15 F
Weight: 2 lb, 8 oz

The bag is very warm, and stuffs small. Haven't pushed it anywhere near its rated temperature yet, so I don't know how accurate it is. Dryloft fabric is noisy, and makes the bag harder to stuff; microfiber might have been a better choice. Dryloft DOES keep the breeze off though. Fit is close but manageable, just what you'd want in an efficient mummy. Hood is a good fit; have yet to need the down-filled muff. Workmanship is superb.

If you've owned or used a Western Mountaineering Apache Super DL, please share your experience.

Western Mountaineering Apache Super DL

The Apache Super DL has been discontinued.

The Western Mountaineering Apache Super DL is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 16, 2006 at GearTrade.