Western Mountaineering Caribou MF

Max user height 5 ft 6 in / 165 cm 6 ft 0 in / 180 cm 6 ft 6 in / 200 cm
Shoulder girth 63 in / 163 cm 64 in / 164 cm 65 in / 165 cm
Hip girth 56 in / 142 cm 55 in / 140 cm 56 in / 142 cm
Foot girth 39 in / 99 cm 39 in / 99 cm 39 in / 99 cm

What can I say about Western Mountaineering, I first…

Design: mummy
Fill: 850+
Temperature Rating: 35 degrees farenheit
Weight: 1lb 11oz
Price Paid: £135

What can I say about Western Mountaineering, I first heard about these products through an online talk group and I must say I'm impressed. To put it in perspective, I currently own two Rab mountaineering sleeping bags which were handmade for me, however for use in Scotland in the summer, I found they were just too warm. So when I heard about Western Mountaineering, I decided to look up the only United Kingdom supplier of these sleeping bags and found that they were offering the "Caribou" at a sale price of £135 so I decided to order.

In my opinion, for lightweight hiking and summer mountaineering, I feel that this sleeping bag has earned a place in my rucksack. As I am 6ft 4", I ordered the long 6ft 6" sleeping bag and it arrived loosely stuffed in its Western Mountaineering storage bag. What I immediately noticed was that this was one sleeping bag that lofted incredibly well and was incredibly light.

On entering the sleeping bag, I noticed that for someone of my height, this was a really well made sleeping bag. Also inside the cotton storage bag, I received two Western Mountaineering stickers and a stuff sack which read "xxs". Someone who is 6ft 4" should not own a sleeping bag stuff sack that says "xxs" on it. When reading this, I thought they were having a laugh but when I decided to stuff the sleeping bag into the stuff sack, it fitted with ease.

Overall I don't imagine Western Mountaineering has seen the last of my money.

Any queries you can contact me at www.bivibish@yahoo.co.uk

For a warm weather bag, it's pretty much perfect.

Design: Mummy
Fill: 850+ fill down
Temperature Rating: 35 F
Weight: 1lb 4oz

For a warm weather bag, it's pretty much perfect. I can't think of a single complaint I have with the bag after hundreds of nights in it.

It's warmer than the 20 degree REI Sub-kilo bag it replaced (but that bag is notoriously overrated). It compresses down smaller than a volleyball. It is soft and light weight, but extremely durable. The stitching is bomber and the zipper is good. And there is more room around the shoulders than a typical mummy bag.

Overall, very comfortable.

Lightweight and simple. Over two years in use. Great…

Summary

Lightweight and simple.

Pros

• Simple arrangement with lots of room.

Cons

• Simple construction

Over two years in use. Great simple bag. Reliable YKK main zipper. Plenty of room for "squirmers" and side/belly sleepers.

Packs very light, and the stuff sack provided is tiny — I usually put it in a larger stuff sack for hiking with my basic load.

The compartments that hold the down are large, but this saves weight, and technically should be warmer. It is very warm!

I have had only a few down quills poke through the MF shell, and these were pushed back in no problem.

A super great bag that will hold your ass to freezing temps no problem.

UPDATE:

Still going strong. Was totally warm at around 30 deg. sleeping without a tent/shelter. I would say the rating is very conservative. I really like this bag.

Visit Western Mountaineering's Caribou MF page.

Lightweight, durable, and comfortable, the Western Mountaineering Caribou sleeping bag fits broad shoulders and is a great choice for AT hikers looking for a lightweight summer bag.

- EMS

The people at Western Mountaineering are pretty proud of their Caribou MF 35 Degree Down Sleeping Bag, with its MicroLite XP breathable microfiber yarn that's densely woven to create a high-thread-count material that naturally fends off moisture. Since the fabric's weave is largely responsible for its weather-resistance, you don't have to worry about it wearing off, washing out, or de-laminating. A DWR coating enhances this water resistance, but without sacrificing the bag's remarkable breathability. All that tech protects the 850-fill down, which stays lofty for toasty warmth. This box-baffle mummy bag is cut wider for broader shoulders and a more comfortable fit. It also features a breathable taffeta lining for friction-free comfort and mobility. Weighing in at a mere pound and a quarter, this is Western Mountaineering's lightest-weight Microfiber Series bag, ideal for summers spent hiking in the mountains or touring the country on two wheels.

Traditionally all of the lightest weight bags are made with the extremely light ripstop nylons We created our Caribou to be lightweight durable and comfortable by using MicroLite XP This 1 lb 5 oz mummy bag has a full length zipper and is cut wider than average for broader shoulders and a more comfortable fit With its highly breathable taffeta fabric the Caribou is a durable lightweight summer bag and a great choice for AT hikersFeatures 10 Sewn Thru Box 35 Loft 35 F 340 ShoulderFoot Girth 10 oz Down Fill 1 lb 5 oz Total Weight

- Bentgate.com

Western Mountaineering 5'6 Caribou MF 35 Deg Traditionally, all of the lightest weight bags are made with the extremely light ripstop nylons. We created our Caribou to be lightweight, durable, and comfortable by using MicroLite XP . This 1 lb. 5 oz. mummy bag has a full length zipper and is cut wider than average for broader shoulders and a more comfortable fit. With its highly breathable taffeta fabric, the Caribou is a durable lightweight summer bag and a great choice for AT hikers. Specs * 10" Sewn Thru Box * 3.5" Loft, 35deg F * 3"/40" Shoulder/Foot Girth * 10 oz. Down Fill * 1 lb. 5 oz. Total Weight

- River Sports Outfitters