Western Mountaineering Caribou MF

Lightweight and simple. Over two years in use. Great…

Summary

Lightweight and simple.

Pros

• Simple arrangement with lots of room.

Cons

• Simple construction

Over two years in use. Great simple bag. Reliable YKK main zipper. Plenty of room for "squirmers" and side/belly sleepers.

Packs very light, and the stuff sack provided is tiny — I usually put it in a larger stuff sack for hiking with my basic load.

The compartments that hold the down are large, but this saves weight, and technically should be warmer. It is very warm!

I have had only a few down quills poke through the MF shell, and these were pushed back in no problem.

A super great bag that will hold your ass to freezing temps no problem.

UPDATE:

Still going strong. Was totally warm at around 30 deg. sleeping without a tent/shelter. I would say the rating is very conservative. I really like this bag.

What can I say about Western Mountaineering, I first…

Design: mummy
Fill: 850+
Temperature Rating: 35 degrees farenheit
Weight: 1lb 11oz
Price Paid: £135

What can I say about Western Mountaineering, I first heard about these products through an online talk group and I must say I'm impressed. To put it in perspective, I currently own two Rab mountaineering sleeping bags which were handmade for me, however for use in Scotland in the summer, I found they were just too warm. So when I heard about Western Mountaineering, I decided to look up the only United Kingdom supplier of these sleeping bags and found that they were offering the "Caribou" at a sale price of £135 so I decided to order.

In my opinion, for lightweight hiking and summer mountaineering, I feel that this sleeping bag has earned a place in my rucksack. As I am 6ft 4", I ordered the long 6ft 6" sleeping bag and it arrived loosely stuffed in its Western Mountaineering storage bag. What I immediately noticed was that this was one sleeping bag that lofted incredibly well and was incredibly light.

On entering the sleeping bag, I noticed that for someone of my height, this was a really well made sleeping bag. Also inside the cotton storage bag, I received two Western Mountaineering stickers and a stuff sack which read "xxs". Someone who is 6ft 4" should not own a sleeping bag stuff sack that says "xxs" on it. When reading this, I thought they were having a laugh but when I decided to stuff the sleeping bag into the stuff sack, it fitted with ease.

Overall I don't imagine Western Mountaineering has seen the last of my money.

Any queries you can contact me at www.bivibish@yahoo.co.uk

For a warm weather bag, it's pretty much perfect.

Design: Mummy
Fill: 850+ fill down
Temperature Rating: 35 F
Weight: 1lb 4oz

For a warm weather bag, it's pretty much perfect. I can't think of a single complaint I have with the bag after hundreds of nights in it.

It's warmer than the 20 degree REI Sub-kilo bag it replaced (but that bag is notoriously overrated). It compresses down smaller than a volleyball. It is soft and light weight, but extremely durable. The stitching is bomber and the zipper is good. And there is more room around the shoulders than a typical mummy bag.

Overall, very comfortable.

If you've owned or used a Western Mountaineering Caribou MF, please share your experience.