Western Mountaineering Kodiak Super DL

This is a serious cold weather bag, nominally rated…

Design: wide mummy
Fill: 750+ fill down
Temperature Rating: -5F* see text
Weight: 3lbs. 12oz.

This is a serious cold weather bag, nominally rated to -5F. Mine is the 6'6" version, with a four ounce overfill, which probably brings the rating down to -10F or so. The build quality is exceptional, at least the equivalent of the better Marmot and Feathered Friends bags. It's quite comfortable and roomy, inasmuch as the shoulder girth is approximately 67 inches, comparable to a large semi-rectangular down bag. The bag tapers to 41 inches at the foot area.

Versatility is what sets this model apart from almost all subzero degree sleeping bags I have run across. Western does not insert a side block baffle in the Kodiak, thus allowing the user to shift more down to the top or bottom half of the bag to suit their comfort level. I have found that at temperatures above the upper 20's this feature is indispensible -- it has kept me from roasting and cursing myself for not bringing a lighter bag instead. Very nice for the mountains, where weather can and does change quickly.

I would not recommend the purchase of this bag if the user only goes where the temperature stays above freezing. There are many less expensive, more lightweight alternatives from Western and other manufacturers. However, if you go where it's only going to be cold or colder, the Kodiak is a winner.

My only wish regarding this bag is that Western would offer it in a non-Dryloft version. I have no complaints about the performance of Dryloft -- only that it adds more expense to an already expensive sleeping bag. A choice between taffeta nylon and Dryloft ripstop would be nice.

Mark Jones

I have owned 6 other sleeping bags. I gave them all away and only use my Kodiak. I have never been cold in it ever. Sleeping often in the 22F range and am always toasty. The bag packs down small and the weight is perfect.

Mark Jones

The option of sliding the down to the bottom of the bag during warmer months is nice as well. I like the no snag zipper and the roomy chest area. Once you go with this bag you won't want to settle for less. It really is that good.

1 year ago
If you've owned or used a Western Mountaineering Kodiak Super DL, please share your experience.

Western Mountaineering Kodiak Super DL

The Kodiak Super DL has been discontinued.

The Western Mountaineering Kodiak Super DL is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 6, 2006 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new cold weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.