Western Mountaineering Puma GWS

Max user height 5 ft 6 in / 165 cm 6 ft / 180 cm 6 ft 6 in / 200 cm
Shoulder girth 62 in / 160 cm 64 in / 163 cm 66 in / 170 cm
Hip girth 55 in / 137 cm 56 in / 140 cm 57 in / 147 cm
Foot girth 39 in / 99 cm 39 in / 99 cm 39 in / 104 cm

If you're not willing to compromise, this is the bag…

Summary

If you're not willing to compromise, this is the bag to get. True to its temperature rating, and the GWS shell keeps moisture out while allowing enough breathability to dry out some damp clothing at night.

Pros

• Packability
  • Durability
  • Warmth

Cons

• Takes some time to get stuffed down to size

Winter camping with this bag down to about -15°F and I've not had any issues with warmth while wearing silk long underwear. The loft is amazing and pops right up after unpacking.

I'm 5'11" and went with the 6' bag; I still have room to fit boot liners and clothing in the bag if necessary, and while I usually sleep on my back, I have no problem side sleeping either. The hood protects well and is comfortable, although I'd be interested to see how I like it compared to some of the Feathered Friends hood designs.

The zipper works well. It's still a sleeping bag zipper so you've got to guide it a little, but it's among the best I've used, and the full zip makes getting in and out easy.

I almost went with the MF shell, but the GWS shell felt like it could take a little more abuse, and I'm glad I went with the GWS because it does get moist in the tent sometimes and I've had no issues with moisture affecting the bag, even while drying out damp socks and shirts inside the bag at night; so breathability appears to be good with the GWS shell as well.

The bag packs down very well with a compression sack, but it's easier to turn it inside out and take your time.  I'd say I can get it down to the size of a rugby ball under regular camping circumstances.

I love this bag because it is simple, well-constructed and does its job perfectly. I expect it to last me many seasons of winter camping in Alaska. Just make sure you wash the damn thing every once in awhile.

I have a number of friends who wonder why their bags don't have any loft anymore, and it's because they've never  washed the thing even after years of use. Wash and rinse the hell out of it afterwards.

Disclaimer:  Gore Tex Mountain Techs Member

This is without question the best bag I`ve owned.

Design: mummy
Fill: 850
Temperature Rating: -25
Weight: 3 lb 10 ounces

This is without question the best bag I`ve owned. The loft is incredible, also have a LITHIOM 0 that is a good bag but can't touch the PUMA for warmth and quality!

I am a farmer and it makes me proud to say that we can still do things right in this country! Spent a week in the Great Smokies at 10 below and was extremely content.