Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100

This is the ideal kayak for anyone who is just getting…

Price Paid: 600 USD

Summary

This is the ideal kayak for anyone who is just getting into kayaking, lives on a relatively calm lake, or enjoys going for a calm relaxed paddle. It has a good amount of storage, leg room, and is extremely stable.

Pros

• Stable
  • Storage

Cons

• A little bit on the heavy side
  • Wide
  • Some drag in the water

I purchased two of these kayaks almost five years ago, and they have been great to me. I live on a lake and take out one of the Pamlicos many times a week. They are a very stable kayak and I have never had any trouble with it tipping over.

I love the storage behind the seat and found it both out of the way, but still accessible while out in the middle of the lake. I found myself using it most often to store fishing gear (rods, tackle, pliers, etc).

Also this kayak is very durable which makes it ideal for a beginner or someone with kids. I have banged it off rocks, dragged it up and down to the lake, and even stored it outside for all seven winters. I have yet to have any problems with it. The only evidence is some scratches on the bottom (which is expected considering what I put it through).

I also took it out on Lake Superior during a calm day and ended up riding some of the waves from some of the shipping boats. The kayak handled beautifully, although it does have a lot of drag due to the wider base, so I was unable to ride the waves as far as I'd like to.

Another drawback is the weight. I have taken this kayak on a number of shorter portages and found that it was a little heavy and awkward to carry. It does have padded sides that do help with carrying, however, I found my shoulder being very sore at the end of the trek. I wouldn't recommend carrying this kayak anymore than 1/4-1/2 mile.

In summary, this is the perfect kayak for a beginner, someone with a cabin or a lake home with kids, or if you have easy access to a number of calm lakes or rivers.

Bottom of Kkayak (great condition considering its age and what I've put it through)

Side padding for carrying (helps but kayak is still heavy and a bit awkward to carry)

Cockpit of kayak (spacious and comfortable)

Back storage (very useful)

Nice review, Nathan! Thanks for taking the time to share it and some pictures on Trailspace. Do you have a paddle you prefer for this kayak?

Nathan Sepp

I received a paddle with the kayak it's called the "Bending Branches Whisper Paddle" it's great for calm lakes and relaxed paddles. It has very minimal wear for the age (six years), however, the paddles are usually stored inside a garage when not in use. And for the price (around $50) you can't go wrong if you are looking for a very basic reliable paddle.

Thanks, Nathan. Perhaps you'll want to review your paddle eventually too: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/bending-branches/whisper/

Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100

The Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 8, 2012 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new recreational kayak, check out the best reviewed current models.