Wilderness Systems Pungo 140

This is a good and well priced kayak. I bought is…

This is a good and well priced kayak. I bought is for the 3-way seat because of comfort on longer trips. I have taken this unit on many long trips over 50 miles.

The only concern that I have had is with the watertight of the foam bulkhead behind the seat that creates the waterproof compartment aft of the seating area. It is not completely watertight due to flexing of the hull/deck when in use, and the foam bulkhead must be caulked to maintain tightness.

This unit handles well for a 14 footer and for a 14 footer tracks pretty well. It is a one person carry.

For the price it is a Ford "Taurus" not a Cadillac "Fleetwood". Even so the quality of the Wilderness Systems is there in the product.

Gary Benefield

I bought the Pungo 140 after lots of research and reading this article. In my boat, the foam has been reinforced with more latex, however, it is not a true bulkhead. It serves its purpose for flotation but occasionally some water will transfer.

Love my Pungo 140. THIS awesome kayak should not be…

Summary

Love my Pungo 140.

Pros

• Huge cockpit, big and long enough to take a medium to large dog
  • On-the-go adjustable foot pegs and seat

Cons

• The front bulkhead has issues, it needs to be sealed better
  • Gaskets in the hatches leak

THIS awesome kayak should not be listed as a recreational kayak only. It's a cross-over. It's also a touring kayak. To me a touring kayak should be able to hold gear and track well while it carries that gear.

Welcome to Trailspace, Lisa. Thanks for sharing your positive experience with the Pungo 140, and letting others know that it works well beyond being a recreational kayak.