Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Great SOT kayak for touring the rudder is a must.

Price Paid: $1600 Australian

Summary

Great SOT kayak for touring the rudder is a must. Recommend for day tours and fishing.

Pros

• Excells through the water.
  • Heaps of storage space inside and the rear tank well
  • Rudder makes keeping on track and turning easy
  • Comfortable seat

Cons

• Bit on the heavy side

My partner and I first started kayaking with Tarpon 100 about 1 1/2 years ago. We loved kayaking and found the T100 lacking in something. We loved the Tarpon range for comfort so we upgraded to T140 with rudder. Although the T140 is much heavier than our old T100 we find it easy to load with two people. We regularly take the T140 out for day trips. There is ample room for storing and esky in the rear tankwell, as well as other equipment inside the front hatch.

The reason for choosing a SOT rather than a SINK was I have limited knee movement, and SOT are very easy to enter and exit. Only thing you need to watch out for is your legs are exposed to the weather so sun screen is a must. The T140 are a heavy kayak and turning is difficult unless you have the rudder installed, which we do. This makes it so much easier and you can keep  paddling  rather than stopping to correct your coarse.

The seat is extremely comfortable and we can sit for 5 hours with no problem. The plastic is very thick and durable, we are always scraping over sunken branches and rocks, with just scratches to show for it.

We have had our Tarpon 140 for about 6 months now we have paddled in calm and rough conditions and it handles any condition well. We are extremely happy with them. I would recommend any wilderness kayak as there workmanship is tops, but if your looking for a touring SOT T40 is the go.

The Tarpon is a fast easy to paddle SOT that is at…

Summary

The Tarpon is a fast easy to paddle SOT that is at home in the small ponds and creeks of the Midwest, as well the surf and open ocean. It is a great platform for fishing or light touring and has plenty of storage.

Pros

• Easy to paddle
  • Tracks very well
  • Lots of storage
  • Easy to rearange gear with the track system
  • Can handle a wide range of waters

Cons

• Takes pratice to stand up and fish
  • Not the lightest kayak to carry

I have had my Tarpon for three years now and have paddled and fished out of it in creeks, small ponds, big lakes, and the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. I have never had any issues with it, and it has performed great.

I have paddled several other kayaks and the Tarpon is my favorite. It is well made and a little heavy out of the water, but the heft will not be noticed in the water.

Quality wise the Tarpon and Wilderness System kayaks are at the top of the short list of quality manufactures and you really can't go wrong with any of the top companies in quality. But you have to try them out on the water. What looks good may not feel right for you.