Black Diamond goes Pro with FlickLock redesign

The new FlickLock Pro locking mechanism from Black Diamond has twice the holding strength, a lower profile, and stainless-steel construction.

The new FlickLock Pro debuts on all adjustable Black Diamond ski poles for fall/winter 2012.

For 17 years, Black Diamond's FlickLock mechanism set the standard for secure, strong, and easy locking of adjustable trekking and ski poles.

The new stainless steel FlickLock Pro improves upon the classic with twice the holding force of the original and a lower profile design. The FlickLock Pro will appear in fall/winter 2012 ski poles and spring/summer 2013 trekking poles from Black Diamond.

This is the first significant redesign of the FlickLock in its 17-year-history, beyond some cosmetic changes and a slightly different camming lobe added about six years ago. The original 1993 patent on the FlickLock ran out in 2010, after which several other outdoor brands began offering similar lever locks on their poles.

With the FlickLock Pro, Black Diamond aimed to reduce the overall volume, maintain an easy to close lever action, and produce the most secure pole locking mechanism on the market.

The new FlickLock Pro features:

• twice the holding strength of the original FlickLock,
  • 20 percent lower profile,
  • stronger, more durable stainless-steel construction (versus plastic), and
  • a slightly heavier weight (the FlickLock Pro is 20 g, FlickLock is 16 g).

Like the original FlickLock, the FlickLock Pro owes some design credit to climbing cams.

"The FlickLock Pro uses a dual axle design, similar to the mechanism in a BD Camalot," said John DiCuollo for Black Diamond. "The camming action enables the FlickLock Pro to be easy to close, while being the most secure pole locking mechanism on the market."

To handle the higher clamping force that the dual axle cam provides, Black Diamond had to use stainless steel in the FlickLock Pro, which accounts for the slightly heavier weight, but more durable construction.

For skiers and winter trekkers, the new FlickLock Pro will appear on all adjustable Black Diamond ski poles in fall/winter 2012. Black Diamond's 2012 Touring Series ski poles also will have longer straps and its 2012 Freeride Series ski poles will have new grips and straps.

For hikers and backpackers, the FlickLock Pro will be available on premium trekking poles in Black Diamond's Alpine and Z-Pole lines for spring 2013.

Related Content

Black Diamond

Comments

February 7, 2012 at 3:51 p.m. (EST)

As I said on FB "Great product, but until they have a warranty better than the 1yr that they offer I will be hanging out in the Leki camp(lifetime on poles.)"

I know alot of people complain or have troubles with the twist locks on some models.

My Leki's have yet to cause me grief. Then again, I tear them down and clean out the trail crud that can get into the tubing after ever trip...

Maintenance is key with any item of gear one uses.

Bill S
February 7, 2012 at 7:03 p.m. (EST)

The FlickLock is most definitely NOT a twist lock. I have had the original FlickLocks in heavy use for close to 15 years now in 2 versions of the probe poles (aluminum and carbon fiber, and a Whippet conversion) and the Expedition poles. I use them heavily for skiing, regular training in the local hills, and for mountaineering expeditions (those are the expedition poles in my avatar on the 2006 Antarctic trip). So I have no worries about the warranty question. I had one minor problem with the clamp not being tight enough a couple years back on the expedition poles, (after 7 or 8 years of use). A call to BD's warranty phone got a set of replacement Flicklocks by mail within a few days, which completely cured the problem.

I have Leki poles as well (with their "flicklock" version). These have also proven dependable. Both Barb and I have had occasional slippage with the Leki twist poles, mostly due to insufficient tightening, but also due to overnight temperature changes when we didn't loosen them for the night. Either BD or Leki are quite good, with some points in favor of each. On the other hand, Komperdell's (both with their own label and with the REI label) have worn out pretty quickly.

February 7, 2012 at 7:13 p.m. (EST)

Bill, I wasn't aware who was the actual manufacturer on REI poles. Thanks for that tid bit of info.

Now if I could just figure out who manufactures their tents lol.

PackFitter1959
February 27, 2012 at 8:10 p.m. (EST)

I've tried the REI poles and the Black Diamond.  I would have to constantly adjust the REI poles throught the trip...always slipping, but the the BD flicklocks I set them once and they stayed that way.

jad
March 18, 2012 at 8:44 p.m. (EDT)

Black Diamond’s warranty dept. has been stellar in my opinion.  They’ve sent me two replacement lower pole sections and a few wrist straps free with just a phone call.  They have never hassled me about a one year warranty.

Black Diamond is one of the Cadillac’s of the outdoor industry!

Callahan
March 19, 2012 at 11:52 p.m. (EDT)

Love it

jad
April 18, 2012 at 5:03 p.m. (EDT)

I love Black Diamond. They sent me two lower pole replacements, and a few wrist wraps, for free. I've never had to fight them at all for any warranty stuff. But then I do call them directly and talk to people.