UCO Original Candle Lantern

There is a poetic quaintness in low-tech. It is within…

There is a poetic quaintness in low-tech. It is within nature; not outside of it. The soft glow of a candle is unintrusive. No batteries, switches, or circuits. No insulting hiss of a gas lantern. It doesn't need pumped. It won't disturb the neighbors with a searing white-hot light.

On a week long canoe tripped I zonked out while reading in the tent. In the morning, the candle was still burning. I'm a late night person so an extra candle always comes with me.

Be sure to hang it where you don't hit it with your head. Wax sloshes all around the inside of the meticulously-cleaned globe. If you're careful it only needs an occasional soot-wiping. Be sure not to slosh the wax while blowing it out. Have some ventilation ready unless you like breathing freshly-doused candle fumes.

Don't ever touch the stainless baffle on the top while the candle is lit. It is wickedly hot. With the Pac-Flat reflector a nice parablic light-cone is focused downward. You can raise or lowered the lantern to focus it's intensity. Also, get the neoprene cocoon. It's invincible.

The wire bail does a nice job of distancing the hot top of the lantern from anything meltable. Be sure to carry a wire S-hook fashioned from a coat hanger to hang the lantern on branches or tent loops.

Ingenious solution to the problem of darkness. I love…

Price Paid: Around $15 at REI? Last one was several years ago.

Summary

Ingenious solution to the problem of darkness.

Pros

• Simplicity
  • Warm natural light
  • Can use where fires are banned
  • Ingenious design
  • People have been know to heat water over it
  • UCO (Industrial Revolution) has excellent customer service

Cons

• May be a little heavy for ultra-light fans
  • The (somewhat expensive) candles made for it are the only ones that really work.

I love these things and have used them for over thirty years. They give a warm glow that just says "Home", especially when trying to find one's way back to the tent on a dark and misty or rainy night.  The one I use for backpacking is the original aluminum one, with the fleece stuff sack to protect it.

For car camping, I use the slightly heavier metal ones that REI and UCO sell now. They're much more civilized than the ultra-loud lights favored by far too many in campgrounds. For anything requiring real illumination, I use a headlamp. Just to light the site and stake out a claim, this is all I need.  The candles last about three nights of long burn times, from dusk to lights-out, so about the nine hours advertised. Too much indoctrination from an Eagle Scout hiking companion to ever use in the tent, but might try someday based on reviews here.

Can't complain about the breakable glass chimneys—plastic just would not work here. REI, thankfully, for now, stocks replacement chimneys at a reasonable price.

Update: I called UCO (Industrial Revolution) in Washington State, described the piston problem and they just mailed me a handful! No charge, and  they got here (diagonally across country) by the end of the week. Exemplary customer service.

Now for the pictures:

3Pistons.jpgMost recent lantern full size, with top and bottom view of pistons, and hardware-store MacGuyver

RedAllFixed.jpg
Newer full sized candle, all fixed up with replacement chimney and OEM piston. As can be seen through the usage window, the HW-store hack caused the candle to tilt, but it always straightened up as it burned down.

PistonWSpringNTop.jpgThis shows how the spring fits exactly into the piston and why the substitute never worked quite as well.
(No idea why the double helix showed up in the pictures. The spring is a single wire)

PistonWSpringNBase.jpg
Base, spring and piston (again with the weird DNA camera error—ignore the orange spring.)

AllThree.jpg
The three so far. The two newer ones have a hanging chain. The fourth lantern should be here next week.

Orig.jpg
Original (to me at least) Candle Lantern. Aluminum, lightweight, no hanging chain. Bought sometime in the late '70s, early '80s.

OrigUpClose.jpg
Closeup of the logo
OrigStuffSack.jpg
Full size lantern stuff sack. Matches (and now an extra piston) always in the bottom.

I wish the pictures of the original lantern had been clearer, but that's the best my phone can do. There probably are earlier versions, but this was the first one I bought.

Also edited to add: the Micro Candle Lantern uses tea lights that the local grocery store sells for a nickel each and that last for one night's use, about three to four hours. The full size still puts out the best light, but I like to use both when car camping, and leave the Micro just outside till it burns out.

Thanks for the review, AV. Got any pictures of the unit? I'd particularly like to see the piston you spoke of.

Curtis Evans

The UCO lantern also produces 1,900 BTU's per hour compared to about 330 BTU/hour for a person at rest. The lantern provides good warmth and reduces condensation for a cold and wet night when used inside a tent. I have slept during the winter with one burning inside my one person tent, it made a difference in warmth, I am a nerd who measures things like that.

Thanks for the review, Avid Hiker! I'd be curious to see some pictures of your "original" Original Candle Lantern along with your "new" Original Candle Lantern.

Avid Hiker

Just saw the responses & questions. Goose and Alicia, I just got back from car camping (yeah, I know) for the last days at a local semi-secret little gem of FS campground and promptly broke the glass chimney on my newer full size lantern just before dipping it in hot water to clean the wax off. New chimney on order, as well as the last size I was missing - due to the reviews here, I jumped on the mini-lantern kit on sale at REI and hopefully will not find it sold out after having the order placed and confirmed.

Avid Hiker

Dang, tried for a new line in the comments, pressed "enter" and submitted the incomplete comment instead :/ I'll post some pictures a bit later, Goose and Alicia. I can't actually post a picture of the piston because I've lost all of them and have been using large hardware store disks that don't work well at all. Curtis, good to know exactly how many BTUs that comforting light puts out - thanks for the information. Almost forgot the reason I came back to the review in the first place. I called UCO to see if I could just order some pistons and they're sending me several at no cost! Problem solved - great company, great customer service.

That's great that they're sending you the pistons, Avid Hiker! I'll look forward to some pictures.

Avid Hiker

Yay! Have replacement pistons + glass chimney for the red one. Will edit review to update and post pictures.

Thanks for the updates and the pictures of your candle lantern collection. Avid Hiker. I'm glad to hear you got the parts you needed.

I carried one of these (as well as other candle lanterns)…

Source: Found it in the road at the town dump!
Price Paid: Who knows? It was like 30 years ago.

Summary

I carried one of these (as well as other candle lanterns) for years, then...

Pros

• Light
  • A modicum of warmth
  • Ambience

Cons

• Weight for the amount of light
  • Glass globe is heavy and breakable
  • Hard to load after dark
  • Like all such, it can drip wax on your gear

Once upon a time I never went into the woods for an overnight without a candle lantern of one kind or another. I probably had five or so different makes and models. They still lurk in my gear storage.

This is one of the better ones, maybe the best one. For example, this lantern gives nearly 360 degree light as many do not.

Still, all candle lanterns have problems and this is no exception. There is potential for spilled hot wax and, if you are not vigilant, fire. There is also the issue of the glass globe. They are not unbreakable. I had to replace one once. Candles and the lanterns are heavy for the light they give. Early on, I added a 8" length of fine aluminum chain with an S hook to hang it from an overhead line in my heavy four season tent.

This lantern has a spring loaded plunger that forces the candle up through a tube as it burns. Once cold, removal of a partially used candle is a chore. When hot it is very nearly impossible without welding gloves. Wax tends to clog the plunger. There is no way to tell how long the remaining candle is without removing it. This still more increases the weight deficit. You can also get caught mid meal prep or mid chapter in your book without light because you assumed the candle was longer than reality. Candle stubs are hard to utilize.

Candles must be of a specific diameter to fit the lantern. They are not difficult to find but neither are they common enough to be found in small town roadside stores. Some candles sold for "emergency use" fit the lantern, but they burn rapidly. Thicker candles have to be shaved down with a pocket knife. (What the hell, you do have extra time to fill, right?)

However: when I was a lot younger I often backpacked with congenial members of the opposite sex. Under such conditions, ambiance can be important for well...socializing. I socialized a great deal at one time under this candle lantern. With the right companion I might still consider this lantern a plus. Memories alone justify this remaining in my gear storage. It can still raise a smile when I find it while looking for something a tad more practical.

The real reason I no longer carry one is simple: weight. A decent headlamp can do more to provide in-tent lighting efficiently. You press a button and you have light. Depending on the headlamp, you can even adopt a red light for reading while retaining night vision. I now regard them as essential for visiting the bushes at night. Walking a trail at night is generally to be avoided whenever possible, but is sometimes essential. A candle lantern could not provide that function.

Do the math. An LED headlamp with an extra set of AAA batteries provides longer and better light and is more flexible in use. Two batteries weigh less than one candle yet can provide as much as 6 hours of good, useable light. Maybe 8 to 10, even 12 on a low setting with some headlamps. This makes it possible to do up to a week on one set of batteries. With a backup lamp, extra batteries are pointless; the two cheap and light headlamps can give you maybe 20 hours of illumination. The two headlamps with batteries weigh less than the lantern with one candle which will yield up to like 4 hours of less useful light.

When your eyes are young and in good shape, you can play cards and even read by a candle lantern but book and candle lantern need to be in close proximity.

Any candle lantern shares the same problems. I would rather have a second micro headlamp.

P.S. I remembered where I got this! I found it lying on the ground in a visit to the dump! It was in the middle of the road, but totally untouched. It did not have a globe though, which is probably how it got to the dump. I bought a new glass globe and I had a new lantern. This is nearly miraculous even for someone as cunningly financially challenged as myself.

Afterword 6/2017: There are now battery powered lanterns, some of which double as a flashlight. I own two (yeah, I am a flashlight guy). One (which works only as a lantern) has stopped working unexpectedly and without obvious damage. The other ((a flashlight that has an extendable head that converts it to a lantern) still works. But...neither of these lights is particularly light and they both sucked batteries like a vacuum.

The weight of either of them would equal about the same as two smallish headlamps. I guess I will not use them in the outback and stick with one headlamp and a micro backup. If I was with a friend, I might even add a third micro light by Princeton Tec, although mine has the earlier bulb rather than the more efficient LED.

Thanks for the review, David. Out of curiosity, do you ever use a candle lantern just for fun and ambiance now?

David Williams

I no longer carry a candle lantern. As age and rationality impinges, I move ever more toward lighter and lighter. Candle lanterns just do not make sense in a world where a cheap (or less cheap) headlamp can be carried for a fraction of the weight and give much more useable light. I now carry two, a good headlamp for general purpose and a really lightweight model for a backup. Of course if I have the right companion of the right gender weight becomes less an issue that ambiance. Under these circumstances I have been known to carry a fifth of decent wine too.

Understandable, David!

Sounds like a lucky find, David!

Great alternative to electric light. I confess that…

Summary

Great alternative to electric light.

Pros

• Pleasant light
  • Can reduce condensation in a tent
  • Can use when a campfire is not allowed

Cons

• Size and weight is greater than LEDs
  • Have to use their candles, which are pricey but good quality
  • Gets hot, so use the chain and be careful!

I confess that I have a few of these candle lanterns and have to admit I really like them, even though they are an “old technology” and are heavier and larger than new technologies such as LEDs. They come in multiple colors, however I prefer the plain aluminum to the colored ones, except for the brass.

It seems that you have to buy their candles which are a little expensive, but are of high quality. (I would be hesitant to use substitute candles if I could find ones that fit as the melting temperature is important to how these work. There is a spring inside the candle holding tube, and the candle is pushed up as it burns away so a problem would be likely of the candle melted too quickly. One candle will easily last over a night.)

They produce a really nice light, and can be a campfire substitute for “caveman tv” when campfires are not allowed. They do get hot, as expected with a candle, but that isn’t a problem if I am just a bit careful.

I wonder if they could be used to heat up snacks, the way Cornish miners used to heat up their meat pies on shovels held over candles?

They will reduce condensation in a tent in some circumstances. I think the little bit of heat allows the air to hold more moisture, plus creating a bit of convection.

Warning: As the lantern does get hot, it is important to be careful in a tent as tents can burn! (Hanging it by the chain seems to ensure it hangs low enough.)

candle-lantern-classic.jpg

You certainly have a lot of candle lanterns! I won't comment on all your reviews, but I am enjoying reading them.

1 year ago

Thanks for sharing all of your candle lantern reviews with us, DrPhun.

DrPhun

Thanks Goose. They last a long time (as long as you don't beak the glass, and even that is replaceable) so they tend to accumulate as I do really love them.

1 year ago

Has anyone or have you read of anyone burning a tent…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Has anyone or have you read of anyone burning a tent down with one of these?

Pros

• Keeps condensation down inside a tent.
  • Analog light!! Fire!!
  • Just the plain simple wholesomeness about it.

Cons

• Not much other than you can't drop it.

Has anyone or have you read of anyone burning a tent down with one of these?

If it did happen it would not still be on the market. They have pretty much ended the life of the Mini gas lantern from Snow Peak, Primus, and others. You don't see them being sold in camp stores anymore, not even the double tie mantles.

As LED has taken over, yes, headlamps are a must, but that soulless alien light just bugs me.

I have had mine for 15 years. It's an old Early Winter Brass version along with about five other UCO's.

It works, it gives light, and no it does not warm up a tent, what it does do is keep the moisture down and prevents condensation, get the cold damp air out and you feel warm.

Great thing about these is if you do happen to knock into it while it is hanging wax will not go flying all over your gear, the Micro tea candle UCO will do this. I threw that into the trash.

Sadly I have noticed the aluminum is a bit thinner on the Chinese made UCO. Yes, even this company has gone to the dark side. They tend to bend easy and get heated up much faster causing the chimney to drop down if you stand it on a table.

These guys have this wax/wick formula down to a fine art. Don't bother trying to burn any other candle in it other than UCO brand or you will pay the price. Trust me, I have tried.

Thanks for sharing your UCO review, Ramseybella. I'd love to see some pics of your Early Winter Brass version in your review. Did you know Snow Peak is planning a new Mini Flame: https://www.facebook.com/Trailspace/photos/a.10153838387412838.1073741856.29435372837/10153838388232838/

Thanks for the review. Wouldn't work with a hammock though. ;)

This is a multipurpose light cheaper than batteries…

Summary

This is a multipurpose light cheaper than batteries and great for keeping condensation down in the tent.

Pros

• Cheap good light
  • Puts off heat in winter
  • Great for reducing condensation

Cons

• Candles can be a pain to change.

Love this light. Have three of them now. Never go without it.

Nice ambiance, but a headlamp outshines it without…

Summary

Nice ambiance, but a headlamp outshines it without the fire risk.

Pros

• Compact
  • Cheap
  • Long burning

Cons

• Fire danger
  • Low light

I've had one since 1997. Used it a few times on backpack trips. Gives OK light output, but not focused, and not super bright. It's only one candle after all.

I stopped using it once the ultra-small headlamps came out. Why use a candle when you can have focused, brighter light and an extra set of batteries takes up less space and weight? Plus, I was always a little nervous with a flame inside a nylon tent.

My most reliable light. I've used my original UCO…

Price Paid: $15-20

Summary

My most reliable light. I've used my original UCO for 20 years and it just keeps on going. I picked up another one this past summer at REI's garage sale so my girls have one to use too. With the several years of camp fire bans here in CO having that little flicker of light tricks the mind so I at least get a glimmer of the campfire feel.

Pros

• Extremely reliable
  • Candle burn time is excellent
  • Durable design

Cons

• None

When backpacking, this has been my go-to light for 20 years. It never fails, never runs out of batteries, and the candle burn time lasts for several nights. For the last several years, CO has had campfire bans due to the dryness and this little lantern at least gives you the feel of a mini campfire with its flickering.

You do have to be careful since it contains a glass globe. I use a neoprene cover for one of my UCOs and a small fleece bag for the other. So far, I've had no mishaps. There are also several candle choices. The standard white one has a burn time of about 9 hours which will get you through several nights. I haven't yet tried the beeswax ones but they are supposed to last around 12 hours. When I run out of the white ones I'll try these.

Having one or two of these lit around the campsite provides a nice warm feeling. Along with my headlamp, I rarely need more light. I highly recommend having one of these in your kit, along with an extra candle. You get about 18 hours of burn time if you get in a bind and need light. As an added bonus, if it's cold you can hang it from your light loop in your tent to warm it up some before you turn in for the night.

This is a brilliant piece of gear. I love the fact…

Summary

This is a brilliant piece of gear. I love the fact it doesn't need batteries.

Pros

• Compact
  • Rugged
  • Simple

Cons

• Need to carry extra candles
  • Glass globe is breakable

I found this while camping with a friend. He has one and we used it for a makeshift campfire to sit around since there was a burn ban. It worked great as we sat around it and visited.  I had to get one for myself.

I use the citronella candles in it to help cut down bugs in my camp. I use it to light my tent with the hook, there's no danger of fire because the flame is contained in the glass globe.

I recommend this candle lantern for everyone from ultra light hikers to RV campers, it's that good.

I would recommend this product for many purposes.

I would recommend this product for many purposes. It is lightweight, collapsible, small when together, has a built-in carry handle/ chain with hanger, and easy to clean up.

The UCO gives off a usable light source in camp, provides a night-light for children, and gives off just a small enough heat to keep condensation out of the tent.

The candle is rated at nine hours burn time, but in my experiences seven to eight has been the realistic burn time. After the candle has burned completely out, you have to clean off the excess wax from the inside of the tube and glass globe.

I purchased two separate reflectors for the UCO. One put together and placed on top focused the light downward, and the second acted like a parabolic lens and focused light similar to a flashlight.

The complete setup did not weight a whole lot and was very useful while in camp. Saved on batteries too.

Now the UCO comes in several configurations as well. You can visit http://candlelantern.com/ for further specifications and models. I bought mine at the  Bass Pro Shop.

One of the best gear decisions that I have ever made.

One of the best gear decisions that I have ever made. It is durable, lightweight and functional.  If you need light for repairs, reading or detail work you will need to use a flashlight or headlamp. The low level light is fine for getting around camp or lighting a tent.  The subtle warmth is appreciated in cold weather.

Perfect for the backpacker. I don't find myself staying…

Perfect for the backpacker. I don't find myself staying up long after dark. This little candle lamp is perfect for my needs. Makes it easy to spot your camp when you have to go away to dig a cat hole. Just enough light to get into the tent for bed. If things are on the cool side, I even warm up the the tent for ten minutes before bed.

Do you like natural light? Do you like a reliable…

Do you like natural light? Do you like a reliable source of light that goes anywhere? Do you get your kicks watching your buddy fumble around in his pack trying to find batteries while you relax by your candle lantern? I do...

I like this product, and while the citronella scented candles may work in the tent, it really doesn't outside.

Great little lantern with about 8-9 hours of light per candle. Go buy one.

This is a cleaver little lamp. Form following function.

This is a cleaver little lamp. Form following function. There is a spring loaded platform that the candle sits on. Heat from the flame is transferred to the tapered chamber that the candle fits in. This causes the candle to exactly fit the top taper in the chamber and seals it to prevent wax from leaking out. The opening in the top of the chamber creates a well that holds melted wax to fuel the lantern. Well engineered so that the wax is used up at the rate that the candle advances and no wax leaks out.

I have had my original for about 20 years. Got it for motorcycle camping but now use it for canoe camping. Good on the picnic table or in the tent. I used to read with it in the tent, but now at 52, that is pushing it with my eyes not as good as they used to be.

UCO has done their work on the candle that they sell for the lantern. I have tried house candles in the past and found that they did not work well in the lantern as they melt too fast and let wax leak into the works making a mess and gumming up the works. Stick with the UCO 9 hour candles. They cost about a dime an hour.

The lantern, due to its draft and chimney probably produce about 2 candle power. More than you would expect from a candle but not bright by any means. A nice warm light that lets you walk about your campsite or follow the path to the privy without mishap. Not enough light for close work, but just an excellent soft light that makes the camp inviting without the intrusion of harsh artificial light that you get from a Coleman mantle lantern. Don't get me wrong, there is a time when the Coleman is the right lamp, but for soft ambient unobtrusive light, the UCO is tops.

I get more than 9 hours from the 9 hour candles.

This lantern deserves the 5 stars

Best little candle holder, where the light is hard…

Best little candle holder, where the light is hard to go out. Romantic on the picnic table, in the tent, and even...in the outhouse. Mine came with beeswax candles and the unit is very dependable. If you do get wax on the window, a simple immersion in hot water is all you need to clean up.

STOP READING REVIEW GO BUY ONE!

STOP READING REVIEW GO BUY ONE!