Frozen: because no one knows you're out there

I've been known to tell others not to judge something until you've actually tried it, whether that's outdoor gear, vegetables, a book, or a movie. So, I'll just shut up and let this movie trailer for Frozen speak for itself.

If the above leaves you wanting more of an explanation, here's the official film synopsis:

A typical day on the slopes turns into a chilling nightmare for three snowboarders (my note: it's actually two snowboarders and a skier) when they get stranded on the chairlift before their last run. As the ski patrol switches off the night lights, they realize with growing panic that they've been left behind dangling high off the ground with no way down. With the resort closed until the following weekend and frostbite and hypothermia already setting in, the trio is forced to take desperate measures to escape off the mountain before they freeze to death. Once they make their move, they discover with horror that they have much more to fear than just the frigid cold. As they combat unexpected obstacles, they start to question if their will to survive is strong enough to overcome the worst ways to die.

Oh, and one of those guys looks like Charlie from Lost, but I don't think that explains much. Frozen opens in theaters February 5, 2010.

via the adventure life and the Verte Blog

Comments

trouthunter
December 23, 2009 at 6:23 p.m. (EST)

Wow, coulda had a PLB! HaHa.

Jim S
December 23, 2009 at 6:40 p.m. (EST)

I have often thought of carrying a rope and a figure 8 in my ski pack.

I dress really warm with a balaclava on lifts, but a lot of people are so scantily dressed on lifts they could get hypothermia in an hour? even if people knew they were there.

Jim

Bill S
December 23, 2009 at 7:29 p.m. (EST)

Except that SOP is that a ski patrol tem is the last on every lift with the lift cycled through at least twice after the ski patrol ge off at the top todo their sweeps before shutdown. More likely (and has happened) is that someone who has gone off trail, maybe intentionally maybe by accident, and has gotten lost or taken a tumble (maybe into a tree well), is overlooked.

Well, they will do anything for a movie plot.

mahoosucmayhem
December 23, 2009 at 11:08 p.m. (EST)

When I was about 9 or 10 my father took me to Mt. Cranmore in North Conway N.H. There used to be a lift that had "cars" or sleds that you would put your skis and poles in and ride up the hill. Well, for my last run of the day I took the lift, but about halfway up I dropped one of my poles off the side of the lift. After I reached the top, I skied along the lift line (my first off trail powder run) and found the pole but couldn't reach it. So i took my skis off and immediately sank up to my chest in the fluffy stuff! I was stuck there for about two hours struggling to get out. I finally did, and reached the bottom of the hill where my dad was performing what I later found out to be called a conniption. Moral of the story, don't take your skis off in the powder! Or, hold on to your equipment! About a half decade later while skiing in Jackson WY I dropped a glove off of a lift (I can't remember if it was Laramie Bowl or Thunder Bowl, but you can start to see a pattern here with me and dropping equipment) we were riding on. We had to jump off of cliffs, over rocks, and searched like crazy to find that glove, but I remembered what had happened to me in NH so I didn't take my skis off!

tommangan
December 24, 2009 at 7:02 a.m. (EST)

I hope there's an abominable snowman.

alan
December 24, 2009 at 2:17 p.m. (EST)

Might be best to put strings on your gloves and, or carry a backup pair.

The abominable snowman could fight off the wolves for the right to eat the skiers!

December 24, 2009 at 2:47 p.m. (EST)

I read somewhere that wolves, among other "forces of evil outdoor threat," play a role in this movie.

Jim S
December 24, 2009 at 2:51 p.m. (EST)

Mahoosic

On my first cross country trip we got to the top of a mountain and we were with a mixed group. I released my bindings and said "I'll be right back I'm gonna visit a tree" I took one step and broke through wind slab and dropped. I grabbed my skis quickly and hauled my self up, I never touched anything solid under me. Sometimes in my nightmares I wonder what if the snow were 20 feet deep and I simply dissapeared, the group had no ropes?

Another time a mile from my truck near Lake Alpine snowpark in the Sierras I skied to a nice spot and took a leak, zipped up and suddenly fell through the cornice I was standing on. My skis caught in a tree and I was hanging inverted in snow. My poles didn't touch anything in any direction. I pulled my self up to the skis and released the bindings, not an easy task but amazing what you can do when yer that frightened. I then pulled my self up onto the skis and my head popped out of the snow. I crawled onto the skis and pushed/slid forwards away from the edge.

That was a close one. I started putting together a list of cardinal rules of things to never do, but I got to about number 30 and I realised that the event creating the rules each could have killed me. I had to stop, it brought back more and more memories of close calsl that I have had and miraculously survived.

Be careful out there. Never step on a sloped branch, step over, stay away from cornices, wear spikes at orienteering meets, don't go out on frozen lakes to the edge of melted water to get water - melt snow, in fact do not ski across frozen lakes, never try to touch the bottom of a river, do not watch chemical reaction up close through glass labware, do not ever inhale unknown fumes, try out your self rescue techniques at home and carry spare descenders and at least a wild thing ascender, etc etc, oh and NEW RAPPEL OFF A CLIFF BELOW A COULOIR - 5 minutes after doing that under Eichorn Pinnacle in Yosemite, about a million tons of rock fell through the path I rappelled. I could go on, now who wants to hike with me???

Jim who is happy and lucky to be alive. MERRY CHRISTMAS

BSA Jeff
December 26, 2009 at 3:03 p.m. (EST)

Moving away from the shopping lists and back to the original thread - seems like a film similar to " Open Water" which was a good suspense-thriller, although it didn't end well for the protagonists.

Let's imagine other titles of the genre. How about:

* Last Chance" (Should have stopped at that gas station before driving into the dessert).

Bill S
December 28, 2009 at 2:17 p.m. (EST)

I had a discussion with a couple of ski patrollers while at Alta. The trailer has become a laughing stock. They told me that their procedures and all resorts in the Wasatch and for all resorts in the major ski resort organizations would prevent that sort of happening. As I said above, the ski patrol rides all lifts after the lifts are closed (30 min in the case of Alta) to make sure the lift is empty, plus ski down to clear all runs and visually inspect the lifts. They also said that state regulations require visual confirmation of all lifts being clear.

tommangan
December 28, 2009 at 2:24 p.m. (EST)

Yes but if it's the Ski Lift to the Twilight Zone, all bets are off.

I'm guessing the screenwriters have this bug covered -- it's three people who work for the resort who wheedle their pal at the lift controls to let them go up one last time for old time's sake. Unfortunately, their pal has some mishap that takes him away from the controls and somebody else comes along five minutes later and says "what the hell are the lifts doing on, we already cleared the runs" and turns everything off.

I've seen so many movies I'd almost put money on this being the scenario they use.

Tom D
MODERATOR
December 28, 2009 at 4:43 p.m. (EST)

Here's some production info if anyone is interested. This site has info on just about every movie ever made.