Yet another hard shell: Pactiv enters outdoor market

Pactiv Corporation, a leader in the consumer and food service industries, is entering the outdoor marketplace. The company’s new flagship line of super affordable, ultralight, waterproof shells are aimed at budget campers and backpackers, families and leaders of large youth groups, and anyone with a disdain for outdoor logos, any semblance of fashion, or decent fit.

"Pactiv has offered strong, weatherproof, ultralight barriers to its customers for years, and now we're offering that same level of performance to outdoor enthusiasts, just in a new package" said Ed Smedley, of Pactiv. "We're confident that hikers, backpackers, and campers will choose our ultralight shells over the competition, once they compare them side by side."

In fact, many hikers have been using the Hefty Shell products, and its competitors, for years. That demand spurred Pactiv to reposition itself for the outdoor market. "It was pretty easy," admits Smedley. "We just changed the packaging, added some mountain peaks to the ads, and bumped up the price a bit."

Confused by the difference between 1-layer, 2-layer, 2.5-layer, and 3-layer shells? Hefty Shells offer the opportunity to add or subtract as many customizable layers as desired. Light mist? Add one layer. Deluge? Use the whole box.

Pactiv's line of Hefty Shells includes nine different models with an assortment of features and sizes to satisfy all outdoor needs.

Hefty Shell features:

• Made from strong but lightweight plastic
  • Environmentally-friendly Renew version made from 65 percent recycled plastic
  • Convenient drawstring or flap closures for adjustable venting
  • Odor blocking option, for those long sweaty treks
  • Customized fit (scissors and duct tape not included)
  • Ultraflex plastic for stretch movement
  • Puncture Protection reduces the likelihood of tearing and ripping

“We're not getting sucked into the same old waterproof-breathable claims,” said Smedley. "We’re all about stripped down, simple function, economy, and value. Sure, permeability may not be our strong suit, but I don't see Gore-tex or Mountain Hardwear offering twenty shells for less than ten bucks. Beat that!"

Pactiv expects consumers will adjust to the non-traditional gallon sizing for the convenience and versatility factors.

Hefty Shells are offered in black, white, and clear colorways. "Hey, that's two more than Henry Ford, and look how it turned out for him," said Smedley.

Hefty Shell Specs:

• Weight: .8 oz (24 g)
  • Capacity: 13 to 39 gallons
  • Sizes: Tall, Large, Extra Large, and Kitchen
  • Price: $7.88 and up for 18 to 78 shells per box, depending on model
  • Availability: Now. Look for Hefty Shells in your grocery store aisles or at heftybrands.pactiv.com

Filed under: April 1, Funny

Comments

.ghost.
April 1, 2011 at 8:03 a.m. (EDT)

Took me more than the first paragraph...

Seth Levy (Seth)
April 1, 2011 at 8:26 a.m. (EDT)

I strongly support Pactiv's entry into this new market.  Their high-quality, low-cost product is the cornerstone of my sub-1 LB GoDangerous MegaUltraLight Backpacking System.  It consists of a Pactiv Shell, a Snickers Bar and a fanny pack!

Jeff RMNP hiker
April 1, 2011 at 9:31 a.m. (EDT)

contrary to popular believe.. one size can fit all.. I went for the 55 G though..

April 1, 2011 at 9:59 a.m. (EDT)

2 questions....

1) Is there a cord I can pull to make it inflate with helium(picture a parade float.) This would be a great way to conserve energy when on the trail. I could see them flying around the summit of Everest now.

2) When I land, can eat it?

April 1, 2011 at 10:22 a.m. (EDT)

I've got a whole list of these in my head. If I had unlimited time, we'd be the outdoors Onion on April 1st.

Some others for you:

From Outdoors Magic, Beards Better At Altitude Say Scientists

From Wend, Fetus Becomes Youngest to Summit Mount Everest

April 1, 2011 at 10:56 a.m. (EDT)

This is great. Thanks Alicia.

gonzan
April 1, 2011 at 2:13 p.m. (EDT)

Fantastic! It took me a minute as well :)
The beard one is amazing, too!

April 1, 2011 at 2:32 p.m. (EDT)

The fetus story has blown me away. The drive, the perseverance, the determination... Nothing short of amazing.

Making the summit w/o supplemental O2.... I am speechless... Congratulations young Valentine. Much deserved recognition. :)

April 1, 2011 at 6:28 p.m. (EDT)

Wait 86 the supplemental 02.... How about NO O2.....Amazing... Simply amazing.

mahoosucmayhem
April 8, 2011 at 7:14 a.m. (EDT)

And Alicia pulls the merino over my eyes again!  I read the whole darn thing...  Clicked on the link, thought it must be a bad link, googled it......  Great way to start the day. Thanks!

April 8, 2011 at 10:06 a.m. (EDT)

Excellent!