Pactiv Corporation, a leader in the consumer and food service industries, is entering the outdoor marketplace. The company’s new flagship line of super affordable, ultralight, waterproof shells are aimed at budget campers and backpackers, families and leaders of large youth groups, and anyone with a disdain for outdoor logos, any semblance of fashion, or decent fit.
"Pactiv has offered strong, weatherproof, ultralight barriers to its customers for years, and now we're offering that same level of performance to outdoor enthusiasts, just in a new package" said Ed Smedley, of Pactiv. "We're confident that hikers, backpackers, and campers will choose our ultralight shells over the competition, once they compare them side by side."
In fact, many hikers have been using the Hefty Shell products, and its competitors, for years. That demand spurred Pactiv to reposition itself for the outdoor market. "It was pretty easy," admits Smedley. "We just changed the packaging, added some mountain peaks to the ads, and bumped up the price a bit."
Confused by the difference between 1-layer, 2-layer, 2.5-layer, and 3-layer shells? Hefty Shells offer the opportunity to add or subtract as many customizable layers as desired. Light mist? Add one layer. Deluge? Use the whole box.
Pactiv's line of Hefty Shells includes nine different models with an assortment of features and sizes to satisfy all outdoor needs.
Hefty Shell features:
- Made from strong but lightweight plastic
- Environmentally-friendly Renew version made from 65 percent recycled plastic
- Convenient drawstring or flap closures for adjustable venting
- Odor blocking option, for those long sweaty treks
- Customized fit (scissors and duct tape not included)
- Ultraflex plastic for stretch movement
- Puncture Protection reduces the likelihood of tearing and ripping
“We're not getting sucked into the same old waterproof-breathable claims,” said Smedley. "We’re all about stripped down, simple function, economy, and value. Sure, permeability may not be our strong suit, but I don't see Gore-tex or Mountain Hardwear offering twenty shells for less than ten bucks. Beat that!"
Pactiv expects consumers will adjust to the non-traditional gallon sizing for the convenience and versatility factors.
Hefty Shells are offered in black, white, and clear colorways. "Hey, that's two more than Henry Ford, and look how it turned out for him," said Smedley.
Hefty Shell Specs:
- Weight: .8 oz (24 g)
- Capacity: 13 to 39 gallons
- Sizes: Tall, Large, Extra Large, and Kitchen
- Price: $7.88 and up for 18 to 78 shells per box, depending on model
- Availability: Now. Look for Hefty Shells in your grocery store aisles or at heftybrands.pactiv.com