Some Outdoor Sign Spotting

This sign we spotted in Massachusetts last weekend provided me with more questions than answers. An identical sign was posted about 100 yards away.

Maybe they would have made more sense if the forest was actually on fire at the time and that was your only concern?

I thought it was worth adding to our pictorial collection of odd and funny outdoor signs.

Filed under: Funny

Comments

njpaddler
April 13, 2011 at 10:41 p.m. (EDT)

Funny ? I don't see anything funny. I see a well-thought-out warning to the dumb ass careless, which is, as the bear in the hat has been telling us for decades, how most fires start. You could easily substitue the word "fire" on the sign for "stupidity".

April 14, 2011 at 1:01 a.m. (EDT)

So the "ONLY" danger is fire. Hmmmmm.... No possibility of activity related injury, getting consumed by a pack of rabid chipmunks, or being mauled by The King of the Sasquatch and his posse of nomadic dancing beavers. Wheres the fun in that? :)

April 14, 2011 at 6:56 a.m. (EDT)

Yes, it's the "only" that sounds odd to me. (I edited the blog to hopefully reflect that better.)

I agree with njpaddler that we should take care about fire safety in the woods, and it's not strange to have a fire safety sign. But, to me, saying "the only danger is fire" makes it sounds like we needn't give a hoot about anything else when we go off into the woods and we'll still be just fine.

But, just as an example, there's a very large tick population in the woods near here.

I still think it's odd. Maybe it's me.

gonzan
April 14, 2011 at 8:34 a.m. (EDT)

I found it quite amusing :)

April 14, 2011 at 8:43 a.m. (EDT)

Ticks are the pits. We have a large amount of Deer Ticks here too. I get at least one a year. The dogs always pick up a few each year. Just a big headache all around. I agree, it kinda pinpoints one major problem and says "hey, there are other dangers out there but the only one that matters is whether or not you burn this place to the ground and yourself in the process." Yeah.... I think a better sign would be "the only danger is the lack of common sense and poor judgement." Ugh.....

D-Dog
April 14, 2011 at 2:44 p.m. (EDT)

The ticks are a big pain here too. I just had a fun time taking ticks off the wife's Siberian cat-a breed that has been domesticated very recently. That was a trip. Lyme disease is also a problem. Careful on finding ticks on your body Rick. I have a neighbor who did not know he had lyme disease until his vision went blurry and his wife had to drove him to the hospital.

The sign: I think someone had a one track mind, but meant well. I lived a couple years in California and know the fear of wild fires. The sign should have read: Danger! Human's :)