Lucky Penguin Gets Custom Tevas for Life

Super cute penguin alert: Lucky the Humboldt and his custom Teva shoe. (Photo: Sheri Horiszny)

Last year, Lucky, a Humboldt penguin, was born at the Santa Barbara Zoo with an impaired foot. At the age of two months, he started developing sores from putting pressure on the wrong parts of his foot while he hopped.

Zoo vets and keepers looking for a solution began wrapping the penguin’s foot and padding his heel.

“We remembered that years ago, Teva had fashioned a special shoe for an elephant with foot issues in San Antonio,” said Zoo CEO Rich Block. “Teva’s headquarters is located just a few miles from our zoo and we thought, if they can make a big elephant boot, they may be able to make a little penguin one.”

Teva's design team responded immediately, measuring the penguin's leg and foot, making casts and multiple versions. The result is a lightweight custom penguin shoe that provides traction, sheds water, and cushions Lucky's foot.

Thanks to Teva, Lucky can now walk, hop, and swim like the other penguins.

Teva has committed to providing Lucky with shoes for life. A children's book about Lucky is expected this fall.

Admit it, you said "awwwww..."

Filed under: Gear News

Comments

apeman
July 13, 2011 at 10:46 p.m. (EDT)

Wow, that's customer service, I wish I were a penguin.  Oh wait, maybe in my next life,  if the oceans are still habitable.  ahwwwwwwwwwww.........that's special!!.

canarado
July 14, 2011 at 1:08 a.m. (EDT)

Pretty cool story!

f_klock
July 14, 2011 at 8:06 a.m. (EDT)

Great story. At our rehab center, we once needed to fit a red tailed hawk with a pair orthopedic sandals. We named him Birkenstock!

Callahan
July 14, 2011 at 12:42 p.m. (EDT)

Happy Feet

July 14, 2011 at 1:17 p.m. (EDT)

This is definitely a "feel good" story. It certainly brightened up my day. Thanks for firing this out Alicia.

Maybe Teva could come out with a "Lucky edition" line of footwear that carries the same color scheme as the one Lucky utilizes. They could donate a portion of the sales to animal preservation or some other good cause that is related. I would definitely snag up a pair for me and the wife.

Teva makes good stuff. I love my Omniums. Nice to see a company cares not only about its customers but also about the other critters out there. As always good stuff.

July 14, 2011 at 1:44 p.m. (EDT)

I'm glad you guys enjoyed this story too.

I admit it, I can't help but say "awww..." and smile when I look at the little penguin.