MSR Introduces Three New Stoves

photo: MSR WhisperLite Universal
New for 2012: the MSR WhisperLite Universal

MSR made a big splash (flash?) in the stove category by introducing three new stoves, each displaying the sort of innovative, practical features the brand is known for.

MSR product manager Steve Grind leads us through the features of each stove in the videos below.

WhisperLite Universal

The MSR WhisperLite Universal takes one large step forward from the popular WhisperLite Internationale (also redesigned for 2012). In addition to burning white gas, unleaded gasoline, and kerosene, the Universal is compatible with compressed gas canisters.

The stove includes three different fuel jets, one for canister fuel, one for unleaded gasoline and white gas, and one for kerosene. The fuel jet for canister fuel includes patented AirControl technology, which optimizes the fuel/air mix for maximum efficiency. The canister mount swivels so users can invert the canister for more power in cold weather.

MSR is clear that they are aiming higher than simple versatility — they want optimum performance for each fuel in one stove.

MSR WhisperLite Universal

• Weight: 10.9 oz
  • Boil Time (white gas): 3 min 30 sec
  • Boil Time (kerosene): 4 min 20 sec
  • Boil Time (canister gas): 3 min 45 sec
  • MSRP: $139.95
  • Available: January 1, 2012

WindPro II

The WindPro II is designed to be an improvement on MSR's original WindPro. The WindPro II's unique swivel canister mount enables users to invert the canister.  Inverting the gas canister delivers liquid fuel to the burner, creating a more powerful, consistent flame in cold temperatures.

MSR WindPro II

• Weight: 6.6 oz
  • Boil Time: 3 min 35 sec
  • MSRP: $99.95
  • Available: January 1, 2012

MicroRocket

The MicroRocket is nearly .4 ounces lighter than its predecessor, the PocketRocket. This tiny stove features a lighter, but more efficient, wind protector integrated in the burner head, and a separate piezoelectric igniter.

MSR MicroRocket

• Weight: 2.6 oz
  • Boil Time: 3 min 30 sec
  • MSRP: $59.95
  • Available: January 1, 2012

[8/8/11 Correction: The WhisperLite Universal does not burn diesel fuel.]

Comments

August 7, 2011 at 2:34 a.m. (EDT)

Well, I am putting the money aside now for the WhisperLite Universal and the WindPro II. I will definitely be placing my order for these stove on their release date.

I do like the Micro-Rocket and the separate Piezo ignition but being I have the current Pocket Rocket I do not see the sense in shelling out the cash for a replacement. It works fine for what I use it for.

This is kinda cool, I can test the WhisperLite Uni on my Feb. meeting with TheRambler and a few other members from Trailspace.

Family Guy
August 7, 2011 at 11:53 a.m. (EDT)

Nothing amazing about the Micro-Rocket.  My Monauk Gnat is 1 full oz lighter, has more stable pot supports, and a much wider flame.

gonzan
August 7, 2011 at 8:01 p.m. (EDT)

Well, I don't own an MSR stove, but I think I will be selling my Optminus Nova Plus and going for the Whisperlight Universal when I get the chance.

Seth Levy (Seth)
August 8, 2011 at 8:25 p.m. (EDT)

Folks - FYI - Please note that we've updated the article above to correct an error.  There are 3 different jets, each for a different fuel, rather than one jet adjustable to three settings, as I had stated in error.

August 8, 2011 at 8:28 p.m. (EDT)

Seth said:

This still does not change my feelings on the future purchase of this stove(Uni.) The swap should take little effort at best.

Guyz
August 10, 2011 at 2:30 p.m. (EDT)

The video on the Whisperlite definitely shows an improvement with the fuel feed.  The old model turned into a puzzle when you tried getting the legs and generator/jet tube reassembled for cleaning or repair.  Getting to the jet is going to be much easier/faster now.

Bill S
August 10, 2011 at 9:05 p.m. (EDT)

Long-time readers of RCU and RBU (the predecessors of Trailspace) are aware of the many discussions of cold-weather canister stoves and how the performance of the Coleman "E" stoves with the horizontal canister with the hinged fuel pickup that fed liquified butane/propane mix gave rise to the idea of inverting the standard canisters of butane/propane mix stoves that had the canister feeding through a hose to the burner. Jim S did a lot of experimenting with inverted canisters, along with several others of us. The original Primus MFS (MultiFuel System) was found to work very successfully and easily with an inverted canister (later replaced by the Omni). I passed this idea along to Coleman at an OR Show many years ago. The next OR Show they had a stand to hold the canister inverted for one of their stoves. An important component that made the Primus MFS work well was the inclusion of a generator tube (needed for liquid fuel stoves, and the inverted canister sends liquified butane/propane to the stove rather than vapor). This led other companies to do the same (it was several years before JetBoil came out with their Helios inverted canister stove, which at the time they claimed to have conceived of independently and "first").

Good to see that MSR now has a version of the Whisperlite that does the same thing, along with my favorite "everyday" MSR stove, the WindPro (the XGK remains my favorite all-around stove, especially for expedition use).

I am curious about the edited change that the Whisperlite Universal won't burn diesel - automotive diesel (Number 2) is close enough to kerosene that it ought to work (along with jet fuel). I have used diesel in my Whisperlite International and my XGK, XGK-II, and XGK-EX, and Primus MFS (swapping to the proper jet, of course), along with Coleman Fuel, autogas, avgas, kerosene, and jet fuel (not alcohol, though - the supplied jets are not the appropriate size for safe usage). However, ONLY FOLLOW MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS AND USE ONLY APPROVED FUELS. Just because I got away with it does not mean it will be safe for you to do so.

Louis-Alexis
August 12, 2011 at 9:38 a.m. (EDT)

Jet fuel? Must've burned bright in the night... I didn't get how you swap the line from canister to liquid fuel. Wish the guy in the video would've showed it

Bill S
August 12, 2011 at 1:17 p.m. (EDT)

The threaded connector on the flexible fuel line is the same as on the pump and on the canisters. You just attach it to whichever fuel source you will be using. And swap the jet at the burner to the appropriate one. MSR marks their jets with a stamped letter (G = white gas, K = kerosene, etc).

Mike W
August 23, 2011 at 2:00 a.m. (EDT)

Wish they would have put some of that r&d into a more durable fuel pump...

huntermann
August 28, 2011 at 11:50 p.m. (EDT)

The Micro Rocket would have been like a million times better if they would have put in a regulator valve! Makes me just want a soto.