Hi-Tec Pará Boot combines rain boot with hiker

The Hi-Tec Pará Boot is a rain-boot-hiker hybrid.

Alien stormtrooper boot? Galosh? The Hi-Tec Pará Boot has both of these disparate species in its gene pool.

The Pará Boot's exterior is a seamless, slick, waterproof rubber mated to an aggressive Vibram tread.

Under the rubber exterior lies 200 grams of Thinsulate synthetic insulation, a neoprene bootie, and a removable, contoured EVA sockliner.

Hi-Tec says it wanted to marry the best of a standard rubber rain boot with the flexibility, comfort, and performance of a hiker. The result: a rain boot-hiker hybrid that adjusts with a toggle closure.

The Pará Boot's Vibram sole.

With its warmth, waterproofing, and traction, the Pará Boot could be useful for hybrid sports like winter whitewater paddling, winter cycling and hiking, or simply walking to work on a slushy day.

Pará Boot

• Weight: 23.7 oz
  • Sizes: Mens' 7‐13 (whole sizes)
  • Available: August 2012
  • MSRP: $125

Disclosure: The author serves on a volunteer board of directors with a Hi-Tec employee.

Comments

Robert Rowe
January 24, 2012 at 1:23 p.m. (EST)

Rubber?   EVA?    $125?

What are these people thinking?   Perhaps, they need someone on "the board" with experience with these materials over the course of many years &/or many miles of use.

I (for one), will pass.

~ r2 ~

January 24, 2012 at 2:28 p.m. (EST)

Well its nice to see Mickey Mouse now has color choices.... Sorry I had too.

I think for trudging around the slop from a winter melt, mud, or rain these would probably perform just fine.

I am not too sure on the whole hiking thing with these due to the minimal amount of toggle hooks/eyelets. I am left wondering how secure/dialed in one could get the fit.

I would be willing  to give them a whirl.

I personally think that they should have made the footbeds from wood, the uppers from Ventile, oh and lets 86 all of the rubber for cast iron.... Hmmmm...

Robert Rowe
January 24, 2012 at 3:07 p.m. (EST)

I hear 'Ya, Rick.

Next up -- The Martha Stewart Designer Series, in chartreuse and pink.

BTW -- L.L.Bean is having their 100th Anniversary.   Bargains, galore.

I have several / many pairs of their "Bean Boots", which are probably in the same category as these, by Hi-Tec.   They DO keep your feet dry from water on the outside ... BUT (like these by Hi-Tech will do), your feet will sweat -- guarenteed (they are mostly rubber -- d'uh ... d'oh).

The solution?  (trust me on this) ...  Buy one-half to one full size larger, and toss the original footbed.   Get a few pairs of LaCrosse felt footbeds, always found in angler's stores (used in bottoms of their waders).  Like $5 per pair.  The thicker, the better.  When your feet are getting sweaty (and, they will), switch-out the felt liners, or turn them over, and reverse them --left to right shoe / boot.   Take 'em out to dry thoroughly when resting, or hang the damp set from your pack's daisy-chain with clips, while continuing your hike.

I have tried VBL socks, too.   Not always nessa;  I like thick wool socks.

About ONE-HALF the cost of these, by Hi-Tec.   AND, you won't be mistaken for an overgrown kid on Miss Nancy's Romper Room Field Day.

~ r2 ~

ocalacomputerguy
January 24, 2012 at 6:22 p.m. (EST)

They remind me of some wading boots I had as a kid. Not quite as much tread on mine and mine went farther up the leg.

Erich
January 24, 2012 at 8:22 p.m. (EST)

I think they would have been better off with a rubber bottom and a breathable waterproof upper, more like a Maine Hunting Shoe. For limited applications they might be OK, but moisture retention in the boot is going to be an issue.

January 24, 2012 at 9:49 p.m. (EST)

Erich said:

but moisture retention in the boot is going to be an issue.

bigmontanamatt
January 25, 2012 at 7:55 a.m. (EST)

These look perfect for kids, to bad they aren't made any smaller. It never ceases to amaze me the ability of my two boys to find every form of standing water there is, and then stand in it. They also look pretty dang easy to lace up as well.

giftogab
January 25, 2012 at 9:55 a.m. (EST)

Biking? Really. Me thinks not.

Seth Levy (Seth)
January 26, 2012 at 8:53 a.m. (EST)

giftogab - certainly not in vegas (I'll be there today!), but for most winter riding in the northeast, a waterproof boot is a great choice.  In the weather I often ride in, there isn't a clip-in shoe that is warm enough, and it's not quite cold enough for a mountaineering boot!

January 26, 2012 at 9:04 a.m. (EST)

I'll add that snowbiking has really taken off here in Maine in the past couple years (as Seth himself already knows).

f_klock
January 26, 2012 at 9:35 a.m. (EST)

These look like they'd be perfect for short-term work at our wildlife/nature center. "Duckies" aren't needed all the time, but when it's snowy, muddy, slushy, etc. something other than lace-up hikers is a must. I've tried "Muck" boots and those cheap chain store rubber/vinyl farm boots. The former being just as expensive as the Para' Boots and too difficult to put on and take off, the latter being just what they are, cheap - and COLD! It appears these would offer far better traction, warmth, and durability than the other options as well as a more comfort on short school group hikes!

Looks like a set of DueNorth creepers would work well too, when we get one of those great NEPA ice storms!

Callahan
January 28, 2012 at 2:07 p.m. (EST)

mono specific boot

JasonLooseArrow
January 30, 2012 at 10:17 p.m. (EST)

I think these are supposed to be better looking galoshes. But, not for hiking, surely.

Riverrat68
February 6, 2012 at 7:50 p.m. (EST)

I'll give a pair a try caving. Looks pretty good for a wet cave!

February 7, 2012 at 7:03 a.m. (EST)

Me think they would make good ocean fishing deck boots.