32north STABILicers Original

For the last 10 years there were always the half dozen…

For the last 10 years there were always the half dozen or so winter hikes in which the upper third of the trail was hard packed snow and ice. Most of my winter hikes involve 2-3000 ft elevation gain. Depending on the trail and the conditions, these sections were what I affectionately referred to as the “toboggan run”. These were (are) always dicey going up and sometimes treacherous coming down; even with hiking poles.

Last spring I vowed no more. I purchased a pair of Stabilicers on sale at REI. They have been used on 4 hikes so far this winter. They are easy to put on and easy to take off. No more do the balls of my feet slip on push off on the way up the trail. On the way down I can place my feet with confidence knowing the Stabilicers will grip the snow and ice firmly.

This product is exactly what I envisioned and I have recommended them to several of my hiking buddies. Stabilicers get an unconditional 5 star rating from me.

After slipping numerous times on the snow while photographing…

Price Paid: $41 plus $11 shipping

After slipping numerous times on the snow while photographing the 22nd Annual Legendary Banked Slalom at Mt. Baker, Wa., last year I wanted something to keep me up this year.

This year, the StabilIcers prevented any falls, even on a nearly 45 degree snow covered slope I managed to climb down without one stumble.

While they don't prevent sinking into deep snow, the straps keep them securely fastened during pull out. I will never go anywhere on snow without these. Awesome!