Lightweight, small, and has the reliability of ACR…

Summary

Lightweight, small, and has the reliability of ACR behind it (I trust ACR locators).

The ACR ResQLink+ is a replacement for my old heavy ACR TerraFix 406 PLB. The ResQLink+ is 1/4 the size of the old PLB and about 1/6 the weight of the older model.

I had to use my old old PLB when I tore my right quad tendon while hiking White Oak Canyon in Shenandoah NP. Help did not arrive until I reached the parking lot. I got help from some ice climbers and a father and daughter out for the day.

At that time,the PLB was already old, the battery was in need of replacement, and I was in the mountains. But, even being old, it still worked. My original PLB cost me $600. This one cost me $269 from REI. This model has a test button also (up to 12 tests per life of the battery). That is reassuring.

The antenna is almost as long at the older model. The body has a loop on the top and bottom of the unit. I can easily thread my belt thru and wear the PLB on my waist. I can also connect to a strap on my pack. This unit also floats. So no more worries about taking in the glades or out kayaking. This unit has a strobe which helps to be seen.

The replacement battery for my old PLB was expensive and I was told that the replacement would cost around $150 (but the waterproof and guarantee of signal would be worth it). Or I just buy a newer version when the time comes to replace. I hope I do not need to use. Being light and small makes the decision to carry or not easier.

Thanks for sharing your ACR review, Daryl. I'm glad you were able to get yourself out to safety when injured.

I rate this PLB a full 5.0 as it has the strongest…

Summary

I rate this PLB a full 5.0 as it has the strongest signal and over a 4-6 year period is less expensive then either the Spot 3 or the DeLorme.

Pros

• Strong 5.0 watt signal
  • Strobe light
  • No drills
  • Signal goes straight to Search and Rescue, not a call center
  • Over a 4-6 year period the ReqQLink is lower cost then their competitors

Cons

• No pre-programed messages
  • No texting

Ease of Use:

• The ResQLink cannot be easier to use. One button to test. One button to call for help.

Features:

• Two button operation, easy to use
  • Signal goes directly to Search and Rescue, rather then a call center
  • Built-in strobe light

Construction and Durability:

- Well, I just purchased it, but it seems very well made

Conditions:

• Took it into the Grand Canyon (the Big Ditch) with me for four days. How did it work? I did not need it so...
  • I carry it with me when backpacking and hiking.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a good device with no frills and that goes directly to Search and Rescue rather then a call center, then this is the one for you.

A friend in his 70's likes the Spot so he can send a message to his wife saying he is OK and that is great for him.

NOTE: Signal Strength

• Spot Gen3: .4 Watts
  • DeLorme: 1.6 Watts
  • ACR ResQLink: 5.0 Watts. This is about a 13 times stronger signal than the Spot Gen3.

Mine is the ResQLink+ which is the same as the ResQLink but enclosed in a flotation case. The ResQLink sells for about $280.

Thanks for the review, Lawrence. I hope you'll keep us posted on how the ResQLink+ continues to work out for you.

Lawrence Schindler

There is one important point that I neglected to mention above and that id when looking at the above three PLB's, only the ResQLink transmits firectly to Search and Rescue. The other two PLB;s go first to a call center which could delay the rescue...