Ahnu Redding

I love any trail I can get to around the work schedule.

Materials: multiple materials
Use: all uses except heavy pack hike
Break-in Period: 1 hour at most
Weight: 192 pound tall guy, shoes? light!
Price Paid: Gift

I love any trail I can get to around the work schedule. I get out once a week or more. I expect a lot out of my gear being an XTerra triathlete.

I have put about 50 trail miles on my Reddings. These sandals are supremely comfortable, even after all day use and direct river to car commute activities. Ahnu's "green" approach to footwear is the reference standard. They are highly adjustable, with no foot odor despite all-day warm weather use.

They have strong traction for a shallow-lug design, and are very quick-drying. I wore these in sandy, gritty, and rocky river conditions and was impressed at how well sediment and pebbles washed out of the footbed while I continued on in the shallows - nary a lone pebble left in the sandal when I exited the water. My toes were well- protected.

Traction on wet, mud-covered rocks along river shoreline is not great, but I didn't expect it to be. The lugs are too shallow to break through and grip the rock surface. The Reddings held up very well on a dry, DG covered trail hike/jog and kept my feet cool despite the 102 deg. temperature (inland SoCal in September!) Some DG ended up in my sandals, but I quickly pulled them off, dumped 'em, and continued on. Traction again was great both up and down the mountain.

All around superb design for multiple activities. I wish they had kid's versions so that I could outfit my whole family.

Ahnu Redding leather sandals are engineered to perform in multiple outdoor environments and provide casual style. Wear them on your next adventure. QuiteLight® construction principles throughout the shoes center on superior comfort and materials with exceptional strength-to-weight ratios. Leather uppers with cross vents breathe well and offer casual style; hemp webbing and rubber toe bumpers provide structure and protection. Lined, stretch thermoplastic urethane heel structures cradle heels for a secure fit; heel and toe loops aid entry. Single-pull QuiteLight™ lace system uses light but strong hemp webbing to disperse load and alleviate pressure found with conventional laces. Webbing laces secure with an Ahnumatic positive-lock cam buckle for unique single-handed adjustability. Tech-Dry linings are made of a recycled polyester and charred bamboo blend to offer natural antimicrobial and moisture-wicking properties. Lightweight, compression-molded EVA midsoles provide shock absorption and cushioning comfort. Outsole-integrated thermoplastic urethane shanks and arch supports offer midfoot stability and torsional rigidity. Nonmarking rubber outsoles with cross-directional lug pattern offer optimal traction in the forefeet and braking in the rear. Self-cleaning 2.5mm outsole lugs provide a balanced ratio of surface contact to tread depth for both bite and nonslip traction.

Ahnu Redding

The Redding has been discontinued.

The Ahnu Redding is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 2, 2008 at REI.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.