AKU Zenith Leather

Bought these boots for a camping trip to the Rockies…

Materials: leather, gore-tex
Use: dayhikes, soon to be tested on a backpacking trip
Break-in Period: there wasn't one. They were comfortable from day one.
Weight: no idea

Bought these boots for a camping trip to the Rockies last week, and wore them every day no matter what we were doing. Probably logged 150 km's on them, and I don't have a single blister. Made a few stream crossings and my feet were bone dry. The soles gripped even the slippery rocks. I love them and I hope they last me many years.

Update: June 18, 2009

I am updating the previous review, which I wrote last August. I have now had the boots 10 months so have a bit more experience with them.

I still love them. They have held up extraordinarily well and still look almost new, though I wear them on regular day hikes. This past New Year's Day, I wore them to hike along the frozen river at the bottom of Maligne Canyon in Jasper National Park. Though I went without ice cleats, I did not slip once. My feet were comfortably warm the entire hike (though I admit that may have something to do with the merino wool socks I was wearing!)

I used water-proofing on the boots before wearing them the first time, that I think everyone is expected to do before wearing leather boots. It is even recommended on the box. I've worn them during rainstorms and for river crossings, and my feet have stayed bone dry. I think I have resprayed them once as well, and will do so again before our next big hike (10 days!!!) in July.

Bought this boot for wet weather, had walked less…

Materials: leather, gore-tex lined
Use: forestry walking-short dayhikes
Break-in Period: none
Weight: light
Price Paid: £120

Bought this boot for wet weather, had walked less than 1 mile and my feet were soaking. Returned them to the shop, and was given a bottle of Nikwax.

I e-mailed AKU direct and once it was established I was in Scotland they did not return my e-mails, even after I said I would write to every blog I could.

I am disgusted, the boots are useless to me.

rated 2.50 of 5 stars All Zenith Leather versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Zenith Leather. Read all reviews »

AKU Women's Zenith Leather

No price on record.

The AKU Women's Zenith Leather is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.