Alpine Design 20 Degree Sleeping Bag

I bought this bag with a gift card from a holiday.

I bought this bag with a gift card from a holiday. It was on clearance sale and I figured that it's not a bad buy to get a mummy bag for my son to use at 5th grade camp.

I will say that it seems to be rated fairly accurately as a 20 degree mummy bag, using Thermolite synthetic insulation, my son has used it in the low 30's and the low 20's without getting cold at all. I've used it once in the mid-20's with no discomfort and wearing only boxers.

The problem is the stitching along the zipper on the interior. It has come apart in two areas. I've repaired the two problem sites and the bag is now fine. The zipper is not impressive, but hasn't had many sticking problems. The ripstop shell has held up pretty well, despite the thrashings of an 11 year old and a couple of bump-ins with branches.

The quality of stitchwork is not impressive, but other than the aforementioned problem areas, has held up well. I have big feet and at 6'2", am filling the bag out to its limits. But the lining is comfortable and the bag is wide enough for me to sleep on my side.

A good performing value to date, but not at retail of $69. My understanding is that QC is highly variable based on other reviews I've seen.

If you've owned or used an Alpine Design 20 Degree Sleeping Bag, please share your experience.

Alpine Design 20 Degree Sleeping Bag

The Alpine Design 20 Degree Sleeping Bag is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new 3-season synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.