Alpine Design Ghille V

I liked the shoes very much, but the soles split on…

Price Paid: On sale, $20

Summary

I liked the shoes very much, but the soles split on the bottom. Both my earlier pairs lasted 2 years and still looked new when the sole failed.

Pros

• Looked nice
  • Good price

Cons

• After 2 years they crack across the bottom and have to be tossed. The tops look new.

I'm on my 3rd pair. I love the shoes except the sole has about a two-year lifespan before one of the shoe soles will get a horizontal crack where it binds.This pair will be my last if their lifespan is so short.

They are usually just worn on weekends and vacations. The first two both had their blowout at bad times on vacation. It's a shame that the sole on this shoe is so bad for the rest making such a good shoe.

KiwiKlimber

In my opinion if a shoe is only $20-$40, I wouldn't expect it to last more than two years. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for. In fact, I'd consider myself pretty lucky to get two years out of a $20 pair of shoes (cost per year is the same as 10 years for a $100 pair, which is possible with some sport sandals, but not a given.)

Most comfortable shoes around, but didn't even last…

Price Paid: <$30

Summary

Most comfortable shoes around, but didn't even last the summer with minimal wear!

Pros

• Excellent fit
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Poor quality
  • Didn't even last one summer with only weekend wear

When I lost a suitcase on vacation, I went to four stores til I found replacement sandals. These shoes might be the most comfortable fit I've ever owned, and I have wide feet. I raved about them to everyone -- I even bought two pairs!

But after very little wear, the sole cracked completely across  in multiple places (the pair I've worn even less are still intact -- SO FAR!)  I'm VERY disappointed.

Alpine Design Ghille V

The Ghille V has been discontinued.

The Alpine Design Ghille V is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new sport sandal, check out the best reviewed current models.