ALPS Mountaineering Crescent Lake 20

Fill Weight 36 oz 44 oz 44 oz
Total Weight 3 lb 12 oz 4 lb 6 oz 4 lb 6 oz
Shape Mummy Mummy Mummy
Price $79.99 USD $89.99 USD $89.99 USD

All things considered... 5 stars. For the price, the…

Summary

All things considered... 5 stars.

Pros

• Well designed
  • Generous fit
  • High loft
  • Comfort

For the price, the Alps Crescent Lake is a very good bag. The dimensions are generous compared to the sizing of most mummy bags. The amount of loft surprised me. It's thick! Of course this comes at the expense of weight and pack size. 3lbs12oz for the "regular".

I use the Alps for car camping to keep miles off my backpacking bags. The Crescent Lake will fit into the sleeping bag compartment of external frame Kelty packs, but it's too big for the bag compartment of most internal frames.

I've got a good 60 nights in this bag. I've used it in 40°F-65°F nights and was neither cold nor sweating. I only compress it while traveling and store it in a large plastic storage bin at home. It's wearing well and still looks brand new. Not a huge issue, but I like the colors. It doesn't look like a bag of skittles.

Did get the zipper hung up once, but was able to get it undone. Helps that there is a second zipper pull on the bottom so it can be unzipped from both directions.

Considering performance, design, comfort, and price... this is a great product.

Needed to buy my son some camping gear for Scouts…

Design: Mummy long
Fill: 210T Polyester
Temperature Rating: 20
Weight: 4 lb. 6 oz. (Long) /3 lb. 12 oz. (Regular)

Needed to buy my son some camping gear for Scouts and decided to splurge on a new bag for myself. Bought the Crescent Lake Long since I like extra room in my bag given my 250lb 6' frame.

First, use was during a winter camping trip in the Los Padres. Overnight temps got down to the teens. Bag felt warm and comfortable and the easy drawstring hood came in handy. Both nights slept very warm and second morning woke up with frost around the hood so I know it was cold. No question it stood up to the test for cold.

Second use was a winter camping trip to Yosemite. Overnight temps in the 20's. Given the light weight it was an easy backpack in. Unfortunately I had a mattress failure so I had little insulation between myself and the snow. My body did stay warm, but I could feel the cold against my back and did make it a bit uncomfortable. I would not blame this on the bag as you should always use an insulated ground pad for winter camping.

Third Use was an overnighter where we slept under a rain fly. Overnight temps in the 40's. Again the bag was comfortable.

Fourth use was warmer spring night. Overnight temps in the 50's. Slept in a hammock. Bag was very comfortable and not overly warm.

Overall: I am very impressed with the bag. The draft tubes keep out the cool air effectively and create a snuggly sleeping environment. The hood worked brilliantly in the cold and was easy to open and close. The stuff sack that comes with the bag has four drawcords and can pack the bag down to less than a ft^2 and can easily fit into an internal frame pack sleeping bag pocket with a lot of room to spare for a pillow or a ground pad.

My son (11) has been with me on every trip and has the smaller Crescent Lake 20 regular. He has not complained of cold either. Both of us are very satisfied customers.

The only issue I have with the bag is the zipper gets caught on the draft tube fabric and can be frustrating at times. This is minor considering the functionality of the bag in multiple conditions.

I was very pleased with this purchase. The design…

Design: Mummy
Fill: proprietary synthetic
Temperature Rating: 20 F
Weight: 3+ lbs (?)

I was very pleased with this purchase. The design of the bag is great. I am about 6'0" 185, and I *hate* the constriction of mummy bags. But I slept as comfortably in this bag as in any bag I've slept in. The zipper and hood design were good and I was very warm in this bag nights in the mid 30s, which indicates to me that it's fairly true to its rating, unlike some other brands.

It's very light and stuffs quite small. I have no complaints with this bag, the price was great, and I will probably purchase other Alps Mountaineering products.

I needed a second mummy bag so I decided on the ALPS…

Design: mummy
Fill: Tech Loft
Temperature Rating: 20 Degrees Farenheight
Weight: 4lbs 6ozs

I needed a second mummy bag so I decided on the ALPS Crescent Lake seeing I purchased my Silver Springs from them three years ago and I know from experience that ALPS Mountaineering's products are very good.

The Weather Channel was predicting a cold front was going to push through Saturday night and drop the nighttime temps down to the low thirties so I decided to put my Crescent Lake to the test.

The first thing I did was see how the fit was. I did this prior to taking it camping. As with my other ALPS bag, the fit was right on and the contoured hood was very comfortable and was a very nice feature I appreciated that night when the temps took that big plunge! This bag has a puffy zipper draft tube that kept cold air from creeping in but it did lack a draft tube for the chest, unlike my Silver Springs. But I noticed hardly any cold air creeping in even though it lacked this feature. Seeing I got last year's model this particuliar bag had PolyMAX instead of this year's TechLoft, which I suppose is the same insulation since it has the same construction (a hollow polyester fiber not unlike Dupont's Hollofil 808). I was very warm in this bag. The hood worked great, the fit is excellent and I'm very pleased with my purchase! This bag is a definite great buy that works well even when those temperatures take that big drop! The bag is rated to 20 degrees. I highly recommend it!

Update: January 10, 2006

This is one excellent bag. It is true to its temperature rating. I've been using it this past week for cold weather camping. I haven't had a cold night yet.

The design and materials of this bag are excellent. It sports one of the BEST hood designs I found. Pull the drawstrings and the hood totally surrounds your head and traps in the precious body heat. The polyester taffeta outer shell/inner liner is plan just soft and very comfortable. The material is very hydrophobic--it will not retain any moisture for long. The bag has a full length zipper baffle but no chest baffles. Yet I haven't had any cold air creep in.

This year's model uses ALPS Mountaineering's proprietary Tech Loft, which is a four channel siliconized hollow fiber much like DuPont's Hollofil II. For the price, materials and performance, I will recommend this excellent bag from ALPS Mountaineering.