ALPS Mountaineering Zenith 2 AL Tent

Good semi light tent for desert mtn backpacking for…

Summary

Good semi light tent for desert mtn backpacking for two.

Pros

• Good price from STP dealflyer
  • One of the lightest tents in its class and price
  • Good zippers
  • Simple to set up
  • Works well for my wife and I
  • Vents well

Cons

• Could use a better tie system at the bottom of the rain fly door

I have had this tent for two seasons backpacking in the SW mtns for 4 to 6 weeks of hiking each time. The weight is much better than my old North Face 2-person 6 lb tent, but the Alps has less protection from the wind and the rain. We did stay dry in the rain, but the vestibule fly door could be anchored better at the bottom and the tent is cooler because of the total mesh, which is nice when it is hot but a little cold when it's not.

We had a pole failure two days out in NM Wilderness, the end split, some trusty duct tape to finish that hike and a small hose clamp to finish the season and I can't say enough about Alps Mtn company. I sent the defect poles in and they sent me a new set of poles.

It would be nice to go lighter but for the price this tent works nicely. It's a good high desert mtns tent and worked well for the two of us. The zippers still work fine after all that use which is a plus and the tent still looks great. I use the foot print from my North Face and it works fine.

I would look for a tent with a better rain fly system and taller sides in places that have heavier weather like the Tetons, Bridger Wilderness etc. It would work, but when you get out four days you want to be sure you are covered.

Great design. Design is great, I love these tents.

Summary

Great design.

Pros

• Sturdy

Design is great, I love these tents.

The door zippers could use a little work though. I have two of these tents and one zipper is a little difficult.

All I can say great little tent. I found the Zenith…

Design: three-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: extremely quick and simple
Weight: 4lbs 8ozs

All I can say great little tent. I found the Zenith 2 AL for sale on the Sierra Trading Post website. It was just the tent I was seeking for since I do solo backpacking. Very lightweight and pitching is quick and very simple-under three minutes for me. I'm currently using this tent in Ohio's Wayne National Forest at the Lamping Homestead Camp Grounds in Monroe County.

This tent offers a full-coverage rainfly with two stake-out vestibules. I stay nice and dry in this tent, even in the hardest of rains. Just the right amount of room inside this tent. Though this tent is rated as a two-person model, I find it a wee bit small for two adults. Better as a one person tent with enough room without that "claustaphobic" feeling. I think I found the perfect tent for backpacking. Nice colour too-rust with sage green trim.

This is the perfect one person tent in my opinion. However I should point out it is better suited for warmer times of the year, since the tent body is all mesh. A bit cold for colder months. Does not hold heat in as a result.

I know I will run the risk of being persecuted by certain people on the backpacker.com forums due to the fact I do not endorse those BIG name brands (such as Sierra Designs or Mountain Hardware for example). Let them insult me--ALPS still makes good gear. Case closed.

ALPS Mountaineering Zenith 2 AL Tent

The Zenith 2 AL Tent has been discontinued.

The ALPS Mountaineering Zenith 2 AL Tent is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 4, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.