Appy Trails Mark III

Weight 1 lb 2.7 oz

Appy Trails Mark III is a lightweight shelter that…

Summary

Appy Trails Mark III is a lightweight shelter that is easy to set up and take down. Its light weight justifies using it for a "1 person" shelter, but it does fit two people and gear.

The Appy Trails Mark III is best for backpacking and thru-hiking due to its weight. I would recommend this to others and have purchased another for others in my family to use.

Pros

• Super lightweight
  • Easy setup and take down
  • Privacy
  • Good packing size

Cons

• Not freestanding
  • Cheap stakes

I usually backpack with my husband and either he carries our 2-man tent or we split the weight. I have begun to hike without him and was looking for something lighter than the backpacking tents that we have. I couldn't find too many tents that gave me the privacy I wanted for the weight I needed/wanted. I also wanted something that was not complicated to set up.

Appy Trails Mark III meets that need and is great for ultra-light backpacking. Setup is so easy. Because of how simple the design is, I can set it up in less than 2 or 3 minutes, even in windy weather (and I have had a lot of that recently) or in the dark.

It pitches well and the tent is relatively quiet in wind, as long as it is staked out well. I think this is partly because it is a single wall tent and there is no rain-fly or "window" material to flop against the tent.

There is no floor, so you have to bring a ground cloth and take care where you pitch it if it is going to rain, but it keeps the weather out. There are netted vents at either end, that can be opened or closed—I leave them open all the time—but condensation is sometimes an issue, especially if there are two people or you are in an area that is very humid.  Not such a problem with one person, because you can sleep in the middle and not worry about touching the side or top, a little trickier with two people, but still manageable.

I have used this tent mostly in the West, where generally, there is not a lot of humidity to deal with. In times/places where the humidity is high, I just leave a part of the bottom edge staked up higher (not flush to the ground).  When I do that, I sometimes worry about rodents or little creatures getting in, but if I don't think about that too much, then I don't freak myself out!  :)

Even though it is advertised as a 3-person tent, you would have to be desperate to want to stuff three people in it and they would have to be really short! It is great for two people and gear. Headspace is sufficient for two people to sit up and talk or get dress without contorting their bodies into unnatural positions. For a backpacking tent, it is almost luxurious in size for use by only one person.

Taking down the Appy Trails Mark III is a breeze. Pull out the stakes, and put it away. There is a stuff sack to use, but I find it best to just fold it onto itself until it is about 8 inches wide, roll it tight, then put it in the stuff sack, as opposed to actually stuffing it. The Appy Trails Mark III packs down very easily and is about 4 or 5 inches by 6 to 8 inches, depending on how tight you roll it. I  leave mine a little looser, so that I can stuff the bag in my pack and it will conform better to the shape of things around it.

Rather than the main pole it comes with, I use my hiking pole in the center, so there is less redundancy in my gear. But if you don't take hiking poles, the main pole only weighs a few ounces. It can also be used with a stick you find on the trail if you really want to save a few more ounces.

This is not a free-standing tent-you must use stakes. The stakes it comes with are fine if you know you will be on soft ground all the time, but I replaced mine with stronger stakes for dry/hard/rocky ground.

As a female, hiking in mixed company, the privacy this tent/tarp provides me, coupled with its light weight, small packing size and easy setup, makes it a great addition to my gear. We have also purchased another one for my son.  With the price of the Appy Trails, I would replace it with another one, if/when it wore out.

I would recommend this for people who want to keep their pack light without spending a fortune.

I've seen this advertised in Scouting magazines. Always wondered if it was any good. Thanks for reviewing it!

If you want to "lighten the pack" without going "all…

Summary

If you want to "lighten the pack" without going "all in" this could be for you. Same weight class as many tarps but has the advantage of zipping up for foul weather and privacy. Requiring only one (1) guy-out at the rear and pegs around perimeter makes this tarp simple to pitch.

Pros

• Low cost
  • Size and weight
  • Ample space for 2-plus gear

Cons

• Stake grommets not gusseted
  • NOT rip-stop sil-nylon

This is a good low cost alternative to an expensive sin-nylon tarp tent. It is 185T polyester and as a result a few grams heavier than what some may want but not enough for me to care about the difference. It has ample room for two (2) "hikers" plus packs.

It mashes down about the size of an MRE. I've seen travel pillows that pack bigger so don't expect the Taj Mahal.  Zipper quality is OK but I've had the flaps snarl up a few times. I wish that the stake grommets had been gusseted, especially the one near the door flap (aftermarket mod required... oops). I can set it up in the dark now that I know the sequence well. Uneven or rocky ground can make this challenging and stability will suffer if you only have poor soil to stake into .

If you plan to ditch the factory poles and substitute your walking sticks be careful to match lengths w/ sharpy marker. Variation in pole length will make this tricky to pitch. As with all floorless tarps bring a good ground cloth(Tyvek) and the expectation for some condensation. If you pitch as intended, with tight ground contact, bugs will "mostly stay out" but air flow will be restricted unless you roll up/crack the door. Air flow will improved if you simply pitch it higher than factory and add guy extensions to the lower grommets.

I've have the Appy Trails III  nearly two years and alternate between it when hiking and an A-Frame Timberline 4 when we "car camp" w/ scouts. I'm happy enough with it to recommend to a friend and I'll probably get another if/when this one fails.

Appy Trails Mark III

The Appy Trails Mark III is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 9, 2013 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.